Subject: Interested, but card drafting...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like 1960, and am looking for something related but shorter (to suit my S/O). CM seems to fit this spot perfectly.
However, I have never tried a card drafting mechanism, and am wondering whether it is something I would like or not.

It seems to imply that you can make some long(er) term planning to counter your opponent. However, I dont really see how this is possible, as the drafting (as I understand it) is done before the actual "campaign" starts, thus, you have no idea what your opponent has chosen. If so, then the drafting will be something that you dont do in response to your opponent, and instead just whatever you think will suit you better - meaning, without interaction with the other player.

Is this how it works? Or am I missing some exciting part of this mechanism?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Borg
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play several times with the same opponent, there will of course be some counter strategy choices were you try to outwit each other compared to what you chose last time.

Fredrik.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ras,
I had a prototype of the game and we played it several times at the Lisbon meetings.
The draft really works well when you know the deck and your options. The draft, depending on the cards you get helps you to define a different strategy for your game. This can cause that all (or at least) some of your games play really different.

I really recommend you this game because it plays really fast and its always tense. I call it an Heavy filler. I haven't played the final version, so I don't know how different are the cards now, but the version I had was really good.

Hope to see you in Lisbon soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brainst0rm wrote:
Hi Ras,
I had a prototype of the game and we played it several times at the Lisbon meetings.
The draft really works well when you know the deck and your options. The draft, depending on the cards you get helps you to define a different strategy for your game. This can cause that all (or at least) some of your games play really different.

I really recommend you this game because it plays really fast and its always tense. I call it an Heavy filler. I haven't played the final version, so I don't know how different are the cards now, but the version I had was really good.

Hope to see you in Lisbon soon

Thanks Fredrik and Carlos.
Yeah, I would love to be more in Lisboa for the game nights, but it is rarely possible. My gaming activity right now is something like one sunday afternoon per month. During the week its hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Weiss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see from your collection that you're an old-school wargamer (much like myself). All I can tell you is that the deck-building part of the game is a very interesting mechanism full of hand-wringing decisions (you pick three cards at a time from your deck and get to keep only one for the upcoming game--the others go in the box). It's an experience you won't get playing ASL, Third Reich, or Hornet Leader. So if you're looking for a different kind of long-term decision-making, I think you'll find this game very interesting. It's worth trying, anyway; find someone in your circle who owns it already and give it a whirl!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.