Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been studying the rules in anticipation of the (hopefully very soon) release of the game.

Quick question on reshuffling cards. The rules seem to imply that reshuffles do not occur immediately, but occur at the end of the current game year. (See section under Declaration of Independence and Von Steuben: 6.1E in the draft CSW rulebook v9.8. It says "At the beginning of the 1776 turn, shuffle both cards into the Strategy Card deck. This is not a re-shuffle per se, so the discards remain discarded unless a re-shuffle event (i.e French Alliance comes into effect—see 12.2) occured in 1775." This seems to imply a reshuffle occurs at the end of the year, not upon immediate card play.) Section 6.1B seems to also imply that the reshuffle is triggered only after the players have discarded all cards from their hand as well (as it says all cards except permanent discards and the current Lord North card are reshuffled).

That said, there is nothing in the rules that explicitly state that reshuffles occur at the end of the year, after all card plays, and it seems more "natural" to immediately reshuffle when a card is played that states to reshuffle.

Which way is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Reshuffling
Reshuffling occurs at the *end* of the Strategy Card Phase. Indeed, this is what the final card language text specifies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam,

5.2 spells this clearly:

When the Strategy Deck is fully depleted, or at the beginning of a turn after an event occurs requiring a reshuffle of the Strategy Deck, the Strategy Card Deck is reconstituted;

Dave, you are correct. Almost. There is one possible occasion whereby a reshuffle would occur DURING a Strategy Phase (i.e. during the middle of a year). That is when a Battle Card is played and the deck is depleted. At that point the deck would be reshuffled.

Hope this helps! P.S. I'll be running a VASSAL demo of the game soon. Stay tuned to GMT's website for details.

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Dave, you are correct. Almost.

Horseshoes was a fine period game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops; I missed that...it does clearly say so Thanks again for the very awesome game and rules! They are very complete I'll look forward to the VASSAL demo coming up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI

The final rulebook with Charlie Kibler's beautiful layout work is considerably easier to read and find things in than the plain-Jane playtest rulebook.

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
The final rulebook with Charlie Kibler's beautiful layout work is considerably easier to read and find things in than the plain-Jane playtest rulebook.

I would read play test rulebook with great interest, no matter how bad the layout is, if only I knew where the rulebook was! zombiezombiezombiezombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See the header of this page: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@429.cA05aFuTLDR.365@.1dd...

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
If it wasn't for the lousy interface, I would gladly join ninja

Thanks for the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
tc237 wrote:
Is your avatar "grouchy" smurf?

And you, TC, what do you think?

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.