Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Stapp
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn this blasted computer. I just jumped on the Folding@home team with BGG and my dual geforce 8800gtx's and went to bed all excited to see what progress I made when I wake up...only to find out that the computer went to sleep 30 minutes after I went to bed shake

How's folding going for everyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Stapp
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All's fixed now. I need to get a second monitor so I can use the second graphics card. Right now it's all running on one.

And yeah, Win7 just worked right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
RabidCicada wrote:
All's fixed now. I need to get a second monitor so I can use the second graphics card. Right now it's all running on one.

Really? I would have guessed you didn't need a monitor actually attached to the second graphics card to get it to fold.

Things are going well for me. It was driving up my fan speed quite a bit until I put the working files on a flash drive. That has worked very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Stapp
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty. Got both cards working away now. You do not need a dummy plug or second monitor to fold with the second card anymore. You simply have to force windows to "extend your desktop" onto the output port on your graphics card (windows 7--Forced VGA output).

Any clue why the flash drive would help your graphics card fan speed? That seems illogical to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe less writing to the hard drive reduced overall heat output?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RabidCicada wrote:
Any clue why the flash drive would help your graphics card fan speed? That seems illogical to me.

Not the graphics card fan--I have a big honkin' heat sink instead of a fan, anyway. As Tim says, the reduction in hard disk thrashing is cooling the disk, and so the main power supply fan is running much slower. Though, case temperature is down, so all the cooling fans should be running slower, using less power etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard some claims that a flash drive runs the program a little more efficiently too. Haven't tried it myself as I think it's doing fine as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a wash on USB2 due to slower transfer speeds than the disk. On USB3, flash ought to be faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
I've heard some claims that a flash drive runs the program a little more efficiently too. Haven't tried it myself as I think it's doing fine as is.

A rumor, and untrue, sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on the system you're running on. On a power-/heat-managed laptop, you'd be way faster even on USB2. My system is a wash on speed, but way cooler and less power. There isn't one right answer: it's situational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.