6 Posts

Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 1941 scenario - pacific or atlantic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
glen walling
Australia
flag msg tools
what is your opinion on USA involvement early on? should they go all out atlantic to pressure germany and italy or go all out for japan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
british pride wrote:
what is your opinion on USA involvement early on? should they go all out atlantic to pressure germany and italy or go all out for japan?

That excact question is the major factor that shapes how every game will play out.

Generally, I think the easiest-to-excecute-plan is to focus on Europe (Italy). I'm not saying that it's always the best plan, but I think it is what most people have success with. It is simply easier to apply US forces where it really hurts on the Atlantic side of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that going for Italy/Europe is the easier move, given the 1941 scenario I really think you are better off going after Japan. The reason is that it is so easy for Japan to expand their economy really quickly, that they can be out-earning the US by turn 3-4 or so just by taking over India, the South Pacific, and about half of China (and with agressive enough play, be in position to take Australia as well).

I think it is too dangerous to leave Japan unchecked, and hopefully with the US distracting Japan, the UK can maintain enough income to put some pressure on Germany's west flank.

Either way, the US is largely fighting to keep the UK in it, but going Pacific lets the UK fight for themselves a little more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I often commit ~80% of the resources to the Atlantic, and then occationally dump a submarine or something in the Pacific. When the opportunity arises, I may put some big ships in there too. Just to tie down as much as possible of the Japanse fleet. I really don't want to encounter it in the Mediterranian boosting the Italian fleet just before Operation Avalanche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery frost
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
America is staggering in economic power that having been said an attack against the pacific is wasteful. Japan is now far away enough from Russia (with the added thorn of China) to make it a real trek. I had Japan spread out as far as africa and threatening russia but the facts are Germany was under the gun because it took me 5 turns to get to Russia with just a few units much less the army it would take to capture Moscow.
I also had reasonably good die rolls in this game, if the dice turn against Japan and he gets smited anywhere and delayed a turn or two it is even worse. Germany is now the "sick man of Europe" Italy is more of a hinderance than help. yeah the idea of a 1 2 punch sounds good but the ability to plop 6 extra units on the board without building or capturing a factory would be far more usefull for Germany.
The allied pain train of ships and units can tie up france till the cows come home and in the 42 version taking africa out is not an easy feat so italy and germany lose out on that income. worse britain gains it to play around with so instead of invasion waves of art and inf it is inf, art and tanks.
Russia can be a particular pain for the allies if the player over extends himself or dice go badly, but generally speaking a conservative russia play with an occasional tank buy can turn Russia into a nightmare for the axis by turn 4 or 5.
So to answer the question directly, ignore Japan with everything except the units on scene already and the Chinese and then club the Germans over the head with your fleet. This goes double for the British extra income should be used to fund more invasions into france and other easy to reach axis territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all of the suggestions/strategies mentioned have merit. For my part, I've usually seen the most benefit to the Allies being an EARLY focus for the US on the Atlantic front, then a switch to the Pacific.

Reasons:

- Due to the short distance over the Atlantic, the US (which takes a long time to gear up for the war anyway) can get involved more quickly in Europe/Africa

- Have the US land a small fleet in Africa for a couple reasons: 1) keep $$$ for UK/keep $$$ from Axis; 2) keep Italy from getting thier extra $$$ for owning the Med (that extra cash makes a HUGE difference); 3) provide a base of operations for Allied invasions/harrasment of S Europe (either with amphibious shipping or just to have airfields available for strat bombing and/or destroying the Italian fleet. It's hard for the Axis to reclaim any Africa territory once they lose it.

- Instead of (or in addition to - depending on how the game plays out) the Africa campaign for the US, have the US build some ships (Cruisers, carrier, battleship, whatever - or fly planes over to a carrier that the UK builds) to protect a developing UK invasion fleet from getting pummeled by the German air force.

- Flying two or three (or even four) bombers to the UK for strat bombing, softening up the Italian navy, or (at great expense - to be sure) softening up a strategic Axis territory (e.g. going after some undefended fighters/bombers, or knocking out a couple tanks). Sure that's not economical, but a couple less German fighters/tanks at a crucial assault vs Russia could very well save Russia's life - and that's pretty much the key to most games, anyway...

After two or three turns of this, focus almost exclusively on Japan. Yes, Japan can QUICKLY gobble up the Pacific and Asia, but I have seen an enormously strong Japan early on end up getting chipped away mid-late game. Japan just can't keep up with the arms race if Russia and China (and/or UK) are still offering even light resistance, and once the US gears up in the Pacific it's very difficult for Japan to keep it's Pacific possessions, continue its advance on Russia, stomp out the Chinese, AND then have to worry about the US fleet(s) in the Pacific.

This can certainly be risky. With aggressive play and good strategy, an unchecked Japan player can be hard to beat - BUT, it's very difficult for UK and Russia to "go it alone" against Germany (and Italy) early on without a little initial assistance from the US.

Of course every game is different, so as always the best laid plans usually "go to hell in a handbasket" after a round or two. Another big factor would be tech advances (if you're playing with them). If the US gets super subs, long range aircraft or improved shipyards early on, then maybe it's better to go after Japan earlier to leverage that advantage. Heavy bombers could pretty much go either way.

Damn - I thought I had enough of A&A for a while after all my plays last year, but after reading/writing all this, I want MORE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.