tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played the 1941 scenario.
I think it is pretty well balanced. Especially if you play with the "closed Dardanelles" optional rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg D
United States
Upsala
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both quite a bit, I would have to say that 1941 is more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darune
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I think that 41 with NOs is to axis advantage, the other 3 configurations is to allies advantage. So if you play 41 with NOs you bid for allies, otherwise you bid for axis. I think the most played is 41 with NOs and it is pretty balanced if you look at what people bid to play allies (usually falls in the range 5-10). Adding a unit in egypt is not the worst you can do i think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
darune wrote:
I think that 41 with NOs is to axis advantage, the other 3 configurations is to allies advantage. So if you play 41 with NOs you bid for allies, otherwise you bid for axis. I think the most played is 41 with NOs and it is pretty balanced if you look at what people bid to play allies (usually falls in the range 5-10). Adding a unit in egypt is not the worst you can do i think.

'41 with NOs is to Axis advantage? So far for us it's Axis losses 4 from 4. Same 2 players for all 4 games, 2 games each side apiece.

I don't think it's possible to win the game as Axis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
darune wrote:

'41 with NOs is to Axis advantage? So far for us it's Axis losses 4 from 4. Same 2 players for all 4 games, 2 games each side apiece.

I don't think it's possible to win the game as Axis.

The consensus on the more competitive forums* is that there is a significant Axis advantage, and that the game needs a bit for the Allies to be playable. (41 with NOs)

*sites like:
www.axisandallies.org
www.harrisgamedesign.com

Edit: Fixed URL for A&A.org. Thanks to Contantinople.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just played the '42 scenario twice, both Axis victories, I'd have to agree. Moscow always falls, in both scenarios, and that's it.
Is the suggestion that the teams bid IPCs to play the Axis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.axisandallies.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
The consensus on the more competitive forums* is that there is a significant Axis advantage, and that the game needs a bit for the Allies to be playable. (41 with NOs)

Something funky is going on with my login at the A&A site.

So what are the general hints/tips etc for the Axis player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
ozimek wrote:

Something funky is going on with my login at the A&A site.

So what are the general hints/tips etc for the Axis player?

Nice necro zombie...

I haven't played AA50 since this thread was active, so I'm a bit rusty. I do remenber some general strategy though:

Germany:
- Decimate the Royal Navy on turn one. Mainly to buy time to focus on the Russians.
- Build mainly infantry and a few artillery in the fist round or two. Send them all to the eastern front. Later tanks will catch up due to their movement of two.
- Keep aircraft in the west to make it more difficult for the WAllies to amass an invation fleet. This can buy you the time you need to take Russia. On the last turn before you attack Moscow, make sure ALL your planes can hit Moscow on the following turn. If this means the Allies can liberate Western Europe, so be it. If Russia has fallen you should be able to repel the invasion in the subsequent rounds.

Japan:
- Go for the western money islands ASAP (National Objectives)
- The game is typically decided by the fall of Berlin or Moscow. Therefore you need to support the Germans and bleed the Russians.
- Push towards India. It is your main medium-term strategic objective, as it will open a sencond front against Russia AND cost the UK IPC's AND give you an NO. You have to advance AT LEAST one territory every turn.
- Don't get caught up in adventures like Autralia etc.
- Take China with minimal effort. Make sure you kill the Flying tigers on the first round, using enough planes (~3).
- If completely ignored by the US, your European allies are in trouble. Try to harrass the US and force them into a conflict in the Pacific. Taking their money islands is likely not going to be enough to make them react. Taking Alaska or threatening Western US will! Don't invest a lot of ground forces in this, as that will hurt your main effort on the Asian continent. Use your fleet and a few transports. The goal is not to conquer the US; it is to force them to spend IPC's to deal with you.

Italy:
- The US often chooses to focus on Italy, which means Italy is doomed. The main objective is to delay the fall of Italy for as long as possible. In order to do this, you must earn IPCs in Africa quickly.
- Be careful not to loose your fleet to sneaky RAF raids.
- Build a few destroyers as they will be nice for blocking, when the US come knocking
- If you can spare a couple of rounds of production, sending a small force to Russia can open some interesting opportunities. The turn order means that the Italians can clear blocking Russians thus allowing the Germans to make some nasty blitzkrieg moves. Typically 1-2 tanks and a couple of infantry is sufficient to make a difference.

I hope this helps a bit. If you make a session report on a game, I will be happy to give some advise based on what happended in your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Robot
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

In most of the games we have played (41/42) Japan simply steamrolls the far east in 1-3 turns. Once they get income parity with US the game is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blorbo wrote:

In most of the games we have played (41/42) Japan simply steamrolls the far east in 1-3 turns. Once they get income parity with US the game is over.

Have the US been employing the old ignore-Japan-and-kill-Germany-first strategy from Revised?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.