Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Folks!!

First of all, H&M is a great, great game. Not overly complex, but very absorbing and exciting. Thumbs up!!

Now a small doubt in regards to reinforcements: when these are taken at beginning of the second year(this step is skipped during the first year), the playbook states that NVA receives 5 'programmed' reinforcements(not sure if using the correct term), plus 8 units taken from the dead pool as free reinforcements. Then at the cost of 1 RP per unit, the NVA player can get more NVA units from the dead pool after these 8.

Therefore, the NVA will get a total of 13 units as reinforcements, is that right? Also, I think these 8 units depend whether are available or not at the dead pool(you take the units available if less than 8).

Second and last question: since the Bombing missions are 'free'(0 RP's), are these performed during each Blue player turn? By turn I mean one card play. Or the bombing missions are performed one per cards phase? I think is the latter, but any light on this I'll appreciate it.

Folks, this is a gem of a game, please get it and play it.

Regards,

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumval,
I'll take a stab at this....

I would say the reinoforcements are indeed 13 plus any RP spent to reclaim units from the dead pool. Page 8 of the playbook outlines this precisely. "Each players takes this year's reinforcements plus free replacements from the dead pool..." of which the NVA is entitled to 8. That would appear to indicate they get less than 8 if there are less that 8 in the dead pool but so far, in my experience, they rarely have trouble reaching that goal. The NVA committed boatlaods of troops to the war, so this, IMO, makes sense.

The bombers can fly missions each year. The bomber rules on page 10 states that "Bombers remain spent until refueled. All bombers are automatically refueled to fly again at the beginning of each year." and "Some events refuel a bomber during the year." So, to my understanding, that would mean bombers can fly one mission per year unless refueled by an event.
V/R,
Tim

Edited for spelling shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumval,

Yes, the bombers are activated on the Blue players turn, even though they don't use any RPs.

They are then sent back to base at the beginning of the next Blue card play turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Baker
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't received my copy yet, but I have a question on bombers from reading the rules:

Can Blue fly multiple bombers per turn, or just one per turn (theoretically up to four per year.)

Also, does "Allies" mean the same as "Blue"?

Thanks! Can't wait till I get my copy! Been waiting on pins and needles for this one forever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First, it's important to understand that a "turn" in H&M is a single player-turn.

I believe you can only fly one bomber mission per turn at a cost of 0 RPs... there are only 3 bomber tokens, though, so that would be the limit (events excepted, of course).

And Allies does mean the same as Blue. I still think of them as US/ARVN, but that's a holdover from other games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no limit to how many bombers you can send, other than how many bombers you have.

The problem with bombers is that they are not generally refuled until the next year, so once they are used, they are used up. Some cards have events which will refuel bombers during the year (or even let you carry out the equivalent of bombing missions without actually using any bombers at all!)

You carry out bombing on your turn, that is, during your card play. During the next Red card play turn, they bombers will be there interdicting (causing them to add +1 to moves through the province with the bombers). They go back to base at the beginning of your next turn.

A "turn" is one side's play of the cards. And Blue does = Allied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the above answers are correct.

To further clarify reinforcements, a player receives his scheduled reinforcements plus a certain number of free replacements from the dead pool. For example, Red can take up to 8 NVA replacements from his dead pool. He gets less if the pool has less. Note that (1) VC units never go to the Dead Pool and (2) NVA tanks never go to the dead pool. If there are more units in the dead pool than a player can reclaim, he may buy back extras for 1 RP per unit. These RPs are in his stockpile and include any bonus RPs he just received.

In practice, most of the time both players will be reclaiming all their units from the dead pool because there won't be that many. This almost always changes after the Tet and Easter offensives when large numbers of units show up in the dead pools. I've seen 15-20 NVA units in Red's dead pool! It is then common for Red to leave units in the dead pool because he doesn't want to spend the RPs to bring them back. He will really struggle to bring them all back into play.

As for bombers, Blue (the Allied player) treats a bombing mission as a free Action. Put the bomber in a province with a fat stack of Red units (count VC units too!), flip it over, and resolve the damage. It stays there until Blue's next turn when he returns it to its base. It is done for the year unless a card refuels it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

Thanks to Tim, Mark and Stan for answering my doubts.

One point I do really like from H&M, is the lower counter density and how well the cards integrate with the card mechanics.

My first play lasted only 3 turns, but we realized what Tim correctly mentioned: you should have no problem in gathering those 8 NVA free reinforcements from the Dead Pool.

The only reason it was a 'short' game was due to my seven years old daughter was at home with her little friends, and after doing all the noise they could, asked me to hand over the game to play it(no way shake ). Another session will follow this weekend, with no little girls around, of course.

As I mentioned in my previous post this is an awesome and very enjoyable game; if you have the chance go and get it.

Thanks to all,

Jumval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.