David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup

After my first attempt at this mission was unsuccessful so I thought I would try a different approach. I kept with the Cybers being my opposition.

For my squad this time I chose to take:
1x team leader (free)
1x Shotgun (for the double melee attack)
1x Heavy weapons (for the good fire skill and AP against the expected Cybers)
1xAssualt Team (I want to get in a close this game)
1x Scientist
1x Technician
1x Demolition (these three are needed for their skills)

I was tempted to take the C/C unit as he has some armour he can absorb some of the Cyber’s hits but I did not have enough points.

Different strategy this time - I will head first to Lab #3 in building 1. As this has a 2+/B event it is where I am most likely to run into a substantial force. As this route does not take me through the grenade and med kit caches I will load up with 3xgrenade and 3xmed kits and just one each of stymo-packs and intelligence.

The Mission

Advance 4 Node
The squad landed not far from the base and begun to advance towards it. As the squad only had three members with advance skill it took two turns to reach the first node. As the squad moved around a rocky outcrop they found themselves almost on top of a Cyber patrol consisting of two drones. The fight was brief and bloody. The assault team member sprang into action and scored two hits, one of which did not penetrate the drone’s armour. A shotgun caused another hit on the other drone. The drones cornered the Heavy weapon armed soldier and caused him a wound. The squad not wanting to be delayed and pickup too many early wounds threw a grenade. The grenade chit pulled was a 5 and although the drone’s armour stopped two of these hits the rest finished them off.

(Building #1 ) Advance 2 Node
It took a further two turns for the squad to advance into Building #1 (advance 2). The area was clear.

Advance 1 Node
Next turn the squad moved into the node adjacent to a security door (advance 1). The door was passable but the squad met another patrol this time of three drones. They both saw each other whilst at fire range. The Heavy Weapon opened up and scored two hits (this was AP fire so no armour saves), the rest of the squad’s fire was ineffective. All three drones scored hits and a med pack was used to stop a fatal wound. The round ended with two of the drones with a hit and the assault, shotgun and heavy weapon soldiers carrying a wound.

Next round the range closed to melee. The assault soldier opened up and scored 2 hits only to see them fail to penetrate the drones armour. A grenade was thrown but that only managed to score a single hit. All three drones were now wounded. The drones scored a single hit that was absorbed by a med kit. The final grenade was then thrown and took out all the wounded drones.

(Building #2 ) Demolition 2 Node
The team leader re-evaluated the situation. With all the grenades gone and low on med packs moving into Lab #3 was risky. So he decided to access the grenade cache in the other building first.

The squad moved to building #2 into the demolition 2 node. The area was clear, and the security door was passable.

Repair 3 Node
It took two turns to find a way into the Repair 3 node. The area was clear but the chit draw for the grenade cache was 0! This was going to get tough.

Demolition 2 Node - Laboratory #2 -Science 3 Node
It took three turns to find a way into Laboratory #2 (science node 3). The area was clear and the med kit cache consisted of three med packs.
The team leader then decided to head back to building #1 and Lab #3. There were still 17 turns remaining and Lab #3 has the highest probability of substantial enemy forces.

Demolition 2 Node - (Building #1) Advance 1 Node
The return journey to Building #1 was uneventful.

Laboratory #3 - Security 2
The squad only took a turn to find a way into Lab #3 (security 2). As they entered the area they came face-to-face with a Guardian and three drones (melee range). With four enemies present it meant the demolition and science personnel could enter melee.

The squad scored 3 hits but all but one was saved by the Cyber’s armour. One of the drones pulled the ‘+’ chit followed by a 4&6 for two hits. In all the Cybers caused 4 wounds and all the squad’s remaining med packs were used to prevent fatalities. The shotgun armed soldier took a stymo-pack to increase his combat efficiency.

Next round was still at melee range and this time the squad scored six hits, of which half were prevented by the Cyber’s armour. However this was enough to take two drones down. The Cybers attack caused three wounds and with no med packs left, the team leader, technician and heavy weapons personnel fell.

Next round remained at melee range. The squad managed four hits (three by the stymo accelerated shotgun soldier). Two hits were saved by the alien armour. The Cybers took out the demolition squad member.

The next round saw the squad and Cybers move out to fire range. Two hits by the squad took out the last drone and the Guardian only had a single hit left.

The final round of the combat saw the Guardian taken out but not before slaying the assault team soldier.

All that now remained of the squad was a wounded shotgun and a scientist.

Advance 1 Node - (Building #2) Demolition 2 Node
The two remaining squad members returned to the demolition 2 node and took five turns to find a way through to the advance 3 node. As they entered the advance 3 node, only on one node away from the final Lab node they stumbled across 4 drones. (Drew a ‘+’ chit on the enemy presence table and then a 4 & 3). It took only two turns for the remaining members of the squad to perish - looks like I will have to return again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said before: these AAR's are a nice read and give a good insight in game play and atmosphere!

I've put this game in my PnP queue!

TrotskyTrotsky wrote:
The squad managed four hits (three by the stymo accelerated shotgun soldier).

I don't quiet understand how the stymo pack works. Could you explain please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

The Stymo-Pack is some kind of combat accelerant - guessing some chemical stimulant. It gives the team member +2AP for melee for the rest of the turn.

The shotgun team member has two melee attacks. I am not sure if he would get +2AP for each attacks or just for just one. I played it only applied for one attack (the designer might want to clarify this?)

The Shotgun team member has melee skill of 3 and 4. If you drew a 5 chit for the first melee skill and a 4 for the second, they would both cause a wound. If I then add the +2 (stymo-pack bonus) onto the 5 chit to make it 7 - this is now twice the skill number needed (3)and so it causes two wound.

A total of three wounds altogether - does that make any sense?

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave, I understand it completely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.