Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion» Forums » General

Subject: Fixing the components: ideas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I first posted these pics in Bill Martinson's complaint thread, but then I thought: why just focus on the negative? How about generating some ideas on how to address the component shortcomings in Incursion? My pics are quoted below for reference; please add other relevant ones if you like. So, onward with ideas:

Problem: How to address distinct card backs?
1. Ignore them. This may work for the Destiny deck, but is more problematic for the main deck. Even if you're completely scrupulous about compensation, you will gain knowledge about a hand that you shouldn't have.
2. Sleeve them. Easy, small expense in time and money. However, not everyone likes sleeves (personally, I like the original artwork and don't like slippery, toppling stacks).
3. Fade them. Speculating here, but what about exposing the originals to UV light (direct sunlight, lamps) for a little while? The CI cards seem to have less saturation than the CE cards, so maybe desaturating them would work. Anyone experienced with this?
4. Draw from the bottom of the deck(s). Suggested by Jandoruss. Certainly good for destiny deck, but not so much for the main deck/flare problem.

Problem: How to fix Alien cards 1mm taller and wider than originals?
1. Ignore them. I'll likely go this route, as I just keep them in alpha order and use flares to select. Kind of a "bumpy" deck (like a rough cut book), but workable if you can suppress your OCD.
2. Cut them. Use a rotary cutter and trim them down to size. Although I'm comfortable with the tools and have cut my own DIY stuff, I'm leery of making 40 precise cuts with no variance and no "slippage" with such a tiny margin.
3. Clone them. Standard DTP, DIY approach. Scan the sheets, print slightly smaller on appropriate stock, laminate or spray. Won't feel the same and won't color match perfectly (probably), but it's much easier (IME) to cut a full sheet down to a precise size than trim such a tiny fringe.

Problem: how to correct warping (CI cards won't exactly match the "shape" of the originals)?
1. Bundle the stacks together. I rubber band my cards (yes, I've heard the horror stories but have never had anything happen with hundreds of games), and have found that with a little time together they'll all begin to warp (or unwarp) the same way.
2. Backbend. Especially for the alien cards. Easy, little time, no expense, pretty much always works unless you've got some kind of twitching disorder.

Other ideas? Thoughts?

Reference stuff below. Please add your own, if you like.
Quote:

Destiny backs
I only see the difference side by side, and I won't at all probably won't when they're stacked.

Card backs
Here the photo isn't quite as good as it might be, as I can see the difference pretty easily in good light.

Spot the CI card?
Yes, easily, but during a game? Probably not. Still, it's possible. If I saw it I'd probably just ask them to reshuffle and turn my head to draw, but I would still have some knowledge of their hand I shouldn't.

Flip and shuffle: spot the CI card?
Well, yes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan K
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:


Problem: How to address distinct card backs?
1. Ignore them. This may work for the Destiny deck, but is more problematic for the main deck. Even if you're completely scrupulous about compensation, you will gain knowledge about a hand that you shouldn't have.



You could always just draw from the bottom of the decks instead of the top. It's a hassle, but it's also cheaper than using sleeves and easier than (gasp) trying to fade them evenly.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
2. Cut them. Use a rotary cutter and trim them down to size. Although I'm comfortable with the tools and have cut my own DIY stuff, I'm leery of making 40 precise cuts with no variance and no "slippage" with such a tiny margin.


Well.. my Planet Steam cards are 2mm wider and they don't fit in my 7.7 x 12.8 cm sleeves. I am trimming them with a rotary cutter and steel ruler. No problems so far...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jandoruss wrote:
You could always just draw from the bottom of the decks instead of the top. It's a hassle, but it's also cheaper than using sleeves and easier than (gasp) trying to fade them evenly.

Great point, I'll edit the post. However, this only addresses the destiny deck, not the main deck. And does nothing for compensation (or just looking around the table).

And yes, I'm not about to try to fade any cards, but wanted to throw the idea out there in case anyone has tried it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Well.. my Planet Steam cards are 2mm wider and they don't fit in my 7.7 x 12.8 cm sleeves. I am trimming them with a rotary cutter and steel ruler. No problems so far...

Good to hear. I've always had problems with slight edge trims, and maybe it's that I'm using something like this:

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.