Popular Tags: [View All]
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to implement a new emoticon? I've found myself looking for a 'roll eyes' emoticon quite often lately. Something like this:

(animated would be best)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a silly idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Iced One wrote:
Is it possible to implement a new emoticon? I've found myself looking for a 'roll eyes' emoticon quite often lately. Something like this:

(animated would be best)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Iced One wrote:

(animated would be best)

I know a quick antidote against the urge to use such a thing:

do not stay around too long in areas where you might need that, or with people who arouse such feelings in you. Just... ignore them and don't discuss things further (if possible). If you feel really bad, take this little guy: shake

Otherwise go for the brighter side:
meeple kiss cool laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:

meeple kiss cool laugh

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
I know a quick antidote against the urge to use such a thing:

do not stay around too long in areas where you might need that, or with people who arouse such feelings in you. Just... ignore them and don't discuss things further (if possible).

Oh no, I wouldn't use it for fellow BGG-members. I'm far too cheerful and tolerant to be using it for other people. I would rather use it as a sort of 'd'oh' emoticon. For example:
I bought 'Agricola' yesterday, but even after thorough research I managed to buy the version without animeeples.

And yes, I could always copy/paste the emoticon I gave as an example, but thats much more cumbersome than using the normal method. Besides, I like using emoticons, and I personally find the current 'collection' lacking some 'subtle' emotions.
I can't seem to get my image right after my text, it always appears on the next line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Iced One wrote:
New emoticon: roll eyes

Dibs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the roll eyes emoticon and oppose its introduction. It's very often used as an insult and we need less of those around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
I hate the roll eyes emoticon and oppose its introduction. It's very often used as an insult and we need less of those around here.

Good point, but if you use that as an argument we should delete other emoticons too, because, let's face it, except for the first 5 every emoticon can be used as an insult.
Just to make it clear: I do not request this to use it as an insult, merely as a means of showing I'd like to slap myself in the face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Iced One wrote:
let's face it, except for the first 5 every emoticon can be used as an insult.

meeple

Take that!

Seriously, I would be more concerned with emoticons that would be used *primarily* as insults, which is what "rolls eyes" would do. I don't expect my child to act that way, and I would expect forum participants to do likewise.

Of the other emoticons, I think is used most often as an insult, but it's usually pretty slight (as in, "eh?"). shake and cry can be offensive but are also regularly used in self depracation. snore is probably the one that you could make the strongest case for. All others are pretty harmless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb

In case you do not know if the use of any emoticon could offend someone beacuse he might overlook some subtle meaning of your sentence before that, there is only one way to prevent that:

- use NO emoticon.

Simple as that. I don't mean to censor angry feelings and their display - I have them as well, from time to time, it's natural. But is there really need to further heaten up some issue through the use of easily misunderstood icons, which could better be solved calmly with words?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:

People are VERY capable of being insulting without using an emoticon.

I would prefer that people use an emoticon for a little "dig" than start a war of words. One shot leads to another and pretty soon you have shouting matches in all caps and people trying to out insult each other.

If they were forced to carry on their insults BY emoticons, it would be much more civil, I think... and a lot more amusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mrorwell wrote:
If they were forced to carry on their insults BY emoticons, it would be much more civil, I think... and a lot more amusing.

yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Iced One wrote:
Good point, but if you use that as an argument we should delete other emoticons too, because, let's face it, except for the first 5 every emoticon can be used as an insult.

Oh really? mintcamel sugar! You're full of 1, you bluetrain d10-6!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
Canada
Quebec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does having no choice for potentially offensive emoticons really deter people who want to offend from actually being offensive? One can just write or describe his reaction, you know, like the typical

*roll eyes*

*shake fist*

*shake head*

*farts*

etc.

I simply do not believe that a particular emoticon will make people more offensive than they already are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ascarel wrote:
Does having no choice for potentially offensive emoticons really deter people who want to offend from actually being offensive?

There are many offensive things that I can use text for which are not represented by emoticons. There are also a lot harsher things typed out on the forums then "*rolls eyes*" that go unchecked by the admins.

But, by providing the emoticons, the BGG admins are sending a message that they condone those behavior/attitudes. As a user, it's easy to just lazily click that emoticon button (kinda like voting) as opposed to typing out a well thought out rebuttal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
The Iced One wrote:

Oh really? mintcamel sugar! You're full of 1, you bluetrain d10-6!

I don't consider them emoticons, and neither does the almighty Wikipedia:
Quote:
An emoticon is a textual expression representing the face of a writer's mood or facial expression. Emoticons are often used to alert a responder to the tenor or temper of a statement, and can change and improve interpretation of plain text. The word is a portmanteau of the English words emotion (or emote) and icon. In web forums, instant messengers and online games, text emoticons are often automatically replaced with small corresponding images, which came to be called emoticons as well.

I do see the humour in your post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.