Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you organize your collection - if at all?

Poll
1. How do you, in general, organize your games on your game shelf?
By designer
By publisher
By category/mechanic/type
By size
By published date
Randomly
Other (please explain)
Game shelf? My games are scattered throughout my house.
2. Are your games, in general, side-by-side (like books) or stacked on top of one another on your shelf?
Side-by-side ala books
Stacked on top of one another
      188 answers
Poll created by nmadd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the person who clicked "other (please explain)."

My WIFE sorts them based on her own system of size, color, shape, and what looks best together. If I rearrance MY games, she will nicely put them back into order when I leave for work or whatever.

So, I just let it go. It isn't a big deal to me, anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wife surprised me one day and set them up alphabetical side by side a few months ago, it's pretty cool ... there are a few adjustments like grouping similiar games (munchkin and supermunchkin) and keeping cities & knights with base game ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lonnie kim
United States
milpitas
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i cannot understand a preference for stacking games (although i see the occasional need based on shelving, space, and box size), and am surprised that it leads the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hims
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much by game weight. The light gamers that visit know they look on the left end of the shelf, the more veteran members look to the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lonnie913 wrote:
i cannot understand a preference for stacking games (although i see the occasional need based on shelving, space, and box size), and am surprised that it leads the poll.

it's sometimes messy side-by-side ... contents spilling out or becoming unsettled in box ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ours go on the shelf to make the most efficient use of the space.

As for flat or vertical... see above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Sorel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "Other" and "Side-by-side"

My game collection is actually split between my apartment and my girlfriend's apartment {where our group game nights happen}. In my apartment there were built in shelves and it was easier to stack side-by-side. At my GF's apartment, she has a small shelving unit where it is easier to stack on top of each other.

Either way, I sort the games according to popularity. The games we are most likely to play are easiest to get to. All of the card games in tuck-boxes are in one area and the boxed games take over the rest of the shelving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...you can organize a game shelf? I'll have to try that sometime...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I separate first by size to get the most out of shelf space. Then I try hard to separate by theme when and where I can. This shelf I keep games that see a lot of game play and that we take out with us a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leeds55 wrote:
Pretty much by game weight.

I do it by game weight too, but in a literal sense. Some of my game boxes would be suitable for heavy machinery, and others are so flimsy they'll barely support their own weight. In my earlier days of gaming I lost a couple of good games by not taking the disparity into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. S. Higgins
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bapadget wrote:

I do it by game weight too, but in a literal sense. Some of my game boxes would be suitable for heavy machinery, and others are so flimsy they'll barely support their own weight. In my earlier days of gaming I lost a couple of good games by not taking the disparity into account.

I account for this now as well. I have a Warhammer Quest box that has the edges taped back together because of an unfortunate stacking accident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I have them in an order, but I don't know if it actually ended up the way I planned.

In general I put heavier (mass) games on the bottom shelves (so they won't tip over), and party/word games on the right, with more strategic games to the left. Within this, I try to group games with similar themes, mechanics, creators, boxes, etc., together, but I'm sure oddities abound based on how they physically fit, not wanting to crush a small box under a bigger one, etc.

Oh, and I put all the empty expansion boxes on the top-left shelf where I don't need to access them:

(Nov-2009)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lonnie913 wrote:

Wargames and other games with trayed components cannot be stored ala books. I have never in all my years stored them any other way but stacked. Also, large games do not fit on their sides on shelves well unless the shelves are significantly larger than bookshelf size. Imagine Descent on a shelf like a book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voted other. Due to space reasons I have three different places I store my games. One is for regular games - those I play often. Quick to reach. The second is for the long complex ones AND for party games. These are the games I don't play that often. Finally there is my shelf for stuff I'd be glad to trade away.
There is no order at all inside each of the places. Its more a game of Tetris. A puzzle how to get them in and out of their respective slots not wasting any space. I am pretty sure noone would be able to fit my games back in but me.

As for stacking - mostly on top of each other as most games do not have inserts that allow vor vertical positioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.