T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting little conflict between Knizia and the very fun (and FREE) gaming site www.yucata.de over the forerunner of Battle Line (Schotten Totten).

http://www.yucata.de/default.aspx?PageID=20&postid=8322&Foru...

Basically Knizia is taking away the right to host the game for free. Moreover, because the site owner wanted to continue to use the free license to the end of the term of the contract (12/2010), Knizia revoked the offer to sell yucata.de a commercial use license.

I think Knizia is completely within his rights to revoke now (before the end of the contract pursuant to para 3) but it seems a bit pissy to revoke the commercial license offer to a site that has publicized his game without profiting from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
too bad. I really liked that game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody know if Dr. Knizia plans to remove his games from all online sites? This was one of my favorite games at Yucata and I agree the reply from Knizia's team seemed childish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is a major shame, and shame on Knizia's team for reacting so poorly. Kay Wilke has shown nothing but honesty and kindness regarding that site, its games, and the people who play there. Here's hoping Reiner takes notices and reconsiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
Obviously the site owner considers it a benefit to use it or he wouldn't have requested use through the end of the contract. Had he not, he would likely still have commercial rights.

I agree - I've never used yucata.de but they likely did get some benefit from having the game online, though players could play the game for free. I think Knizia is beginning to pull in his rights to titles for online play because he's developing electronic versions that will be sold, which is completely in his rights to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:
Interesting little conflict between Knizia and the very fun (and FREE) gaming site www.yucata.de over the forerunner of Battle Line (Schotten Totten).

http://www.yucata.de/default.aspx?PageID=20&postid=8322&Foru...

Basically Knizia is taking away the right to host the game for free. Moreover, because the site owner wanted to continue to use the free license to the end of the term of the contract (12/2010), Knizia revoked the offer to sell yucata.de a commercial use license.

I think Knizia is completely within his rights to revoke now (before the end of the contract pursuant to para 3) but it seems a bit pissy to revoke the commercial license offer to a site that has publicized his game without profiting from it.

Huh... this doesn't seem to have affected FlexGames, which is also a free site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
Obviously the site owner considers it a benefit to use it or he wouldn't have requested use through the end of the contract. Had he not, he would likely still have commercial rights.

There is no (commercial) benefit. The owner of yucata.de gets nothing for hosting the games. It is a hobby site without advertisements and nobody has to pay money.
I'm sure that the players will forget Schotten Totten soon. There are 44 other great games online on yucata.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Based on the number of his games launching on iPhone, I'd think Knizia is moving rapidly to monetize his games digitally. I would expect that this will be a trend, and that free versions will decrease over time as other move to make some money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Based on the number of his games launching on iPhone, I'd think Knizia is moving rapidly to monetize his games digitally. I would expect that this will be a trend, and that free versions will decrease over time as other move to make some money.

I agree with this, but does anybody think a free version on yucata.de will negatively impact iPhone apps sales?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
apotheos wrote:

I agree with this, but does anybody think a free version on yucata.de will negatively impact iPhone apps sales?

Exactly. I have a few Knizia games on my Iphone but those are primarily for solo play (though I have played my daughter in a non-Knizia game --Zooloretto-- a few times). When I want to play a human and can't do it in person, yucata.de is great. Two different forums for different purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
qzhdad wrote:
apotheos wrote:

I think you'll see multiplayer in the retail components soon.

And, yes, a functional, popular free version can vastly undermine the ability to get a head of steam behind a pay-for version. The margins of profit on these ventures is so slim as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That same day I played my first game there, and decided it was going to be my new hobby . -___-"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.