California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaic Official Rules
©2010 Erik Dresner

Components
Eight 2x2 tiles, eight 2x1 tiles and three 1x1 tiles in each color ("light" and "dark").

Terminology
A square is a 1x1 unit. A tile is a playing piece made up of 1, 2 or 4 squares.

Setting Up
Each player takes all the tiles of their color into their supply. The light player goes first by placing any tile from his supply out onto the playing area. Proceed as normal for the remainder of the game.

Playing Tiles
On your turn, you must play one tile from your supply onto either the playing surface or on top of other tiles.

Tiles played directly on the playing surface must be orthogonally adjacent to another tile, but cannot touch any tile of your color. (When playing tiles next to stacked tiles, the topmost square is considered the adjacent color.

When playing tiles on top of other tiles, at least one square of your tile must cover at least one square of your opponent’s tiles. Also, at no point can any tile be completely covered. Tiles can only occupy one level--tiles cannot "lean" from one level to another. Tiles played on top of other tiles may be placed adjacent to or on top of tiles of their own color regardless of level.

The playing surface is restricted to a height and width of 8 squares. At no point may a player place a tile that would expand the playing surface beyond a height or width of 8 squares.

End of Game
The game ends immediately when a player is unable to play any of his tiles. The player with the largest area of orthogonally connected visible squares is the winner. (Squares are considered connected even if they’re on different levels.) In case of a tie, the second largest area will determine the winner and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
erak wrote:
The game ends immediately when a player is unable to play any of his tiles.

Just to confirm what I'm 99% sure about: this means "unable to play any of their tiles on their turn", right?

I.e. I play a tile and it's clear I can't play my remaining tiles, but you still get to play one tile, then it's my turn again and I can't play one, so the game ends. And if you had more than one tile you could play, tough noogies, you only play one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
erak wrote:
The game ends immediately when a player is unable to play any of his tiles.

Just to confirm what I'm 99% sure about: this means "unable to play any of their tiles on their turn", right?

I.e. I play a tile and it's clear I can't play my remaining tiles, but you still get to play one tile, then it's my turn again and I can't play one, so the game ends. And if you had more than one tile you could play, tough noogies, you only play one.

Correct. The game ends when you can't play a tile on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
erak wrote:
Correct. The game ends when you can't play a tile on your turn.

Thanks! This means I won our game today...

We have a tradition of taking Zaic along every time to one of our favorite restaurants, by the way. So much so that when we ordered our food this evening, the guy asked if we were going to play a game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.