Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fungus and Merchant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fungus and Merchant both seem to be able to deliver far more ships to a battle than normal, but neither of them send "standard" ships. Fungus has loads of captured ships while Merchant can have loads of hired ships.

From reading the boards here on BGG, there seems to be a consensus that the Merchant's hired ships would each count for a reward when used as a defensive ally. This makes sense to me, even though it makes the Merchant ridiculous for building hand size if the other players aren't careful.

What about Fungus, though? Say, Fungus responds as a defensive ally with one ship with three captured ships in a stack and a second ship with four captured ships in the stack. In terms of strength in the battle, Fungus has added 9. Does it take 9 rewards, or 2?

And then the same question again, concerning both races and negotiation compensation instead of defender reward.

Much thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't have Fungus in front of me .... I believe that the power card states that each stack counts as only 1 ship, although all ships are added when being used in an encounter.

So I think, in terms of rewards and such, each stack is only 1 ship/reward.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oatesatm wrote:
While I don't have Fungus in front of me .... I believe that the power card states that each stack counts as only 1 ship, although all ships are added when being used in an encounter.

So I think, in terms of rewards and such, each stack is only 1 ship/reward.


Fungus wrote:
You have the power to Adhere. As a main player or ally, after you win an encounter in which you have at least one ship, use this power to capture any losing ships, stacking them under one or more of your ships in the encounter instead of sending them to the warp (effects that would save ships from the warp, such as Zombie's or Healer's power, cannot prevent this). Captured ships do not have special characteristics, e.g., Macron ships are not worth four. These stacks are controlled by you. Each stack is considered to be one ship for purposes of play. Ships that are part of a stack are only freed when the stack enters the warp. Freed ships are returned to normal and may leave the warp as usual.


You are correct, each stack is considered to be one ship, outside of counting up encounter totals.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogue42 wrote:
oatesatm wrote:
While I don't have Fungus in front of me .... I believe that the power card states that each stack counts as only 1 ship, although all ships are added when being used in an encounter.

So I think, in terms of rewards and such, each stack is only 1 ship/reward.


Fungus wrote:
You have the power to Adhere. As a main player or ally, after you win an encounter in which you have at least one ship, use this power to capture any losing ships, stacking them under one or more of your ships in the encounter instead of sending them to the warp (effects that would save ships from the warp, such as Zombie's or Healer's power, cannot prevent this). Captured ships do not have special characteristics, e.g., Macron ships are not worth four. These stacks are controlled by you. Each stack is considered to be one ship for purposes of play. Ships that are part of a stack are only freed when the stack enters the warp. Freed ships are returned to normal and may leave the warp as usual.


You are correct, each stack is considered to be one ship, outside of counting up encounter totals.


But you stack them under your existing ships, yes? So if I have 1 ship, and 4 captured ships underneath.... that's ONE stack, correct? So none of the captured ships actually count as a ship, as they must go under one of yours, right?

Edit: So to clarify.. captured ships never add to the amount of ships you have, whatsoever... they just beef up one or more existing ships...

Also, if I have 4 ships in the encounter... and I capture 8 more from my enemy... I can stack all 8 under one ship... or 2 underneath each of my 4 ships... or any combination I choose? But once they are selected, they can't be rearranged?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yep
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Withem

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Fungus is indeed very very powerful in that regard. you can spread the strength by makign several decent-sized stacks, or you can be a real cocky bastard and have one large stack. The large stack while significantly more vulnerable unless you have a supporting hand, will also make for a very very tasty ally treat. since captured ships aren't affected by mobius tubes it also makes for a very very big late game threat. Depending on game size though prepared to overcome ally numbers of 8-16 added ships against you though if you become too powerful!

The sheer brokenness of fungus comes from piggy-backing other players wins either early in the game or when they make a stupid mistake and invite you.

Also be aware of powers that destroy "their" choice ships. that stack may be worth 15 ships in combat, but it is still only "1" ship to powers like hate, bully, shadow and in some regards guerrilla and the artifact plague.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I thought this thread was going to be about whether Fungus can adhere to Merchant's hired ships.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
I thought this thread was going to be about whether Fungus can adhere to Merchant's hired ships.

I think it would be fair, if Fungus could add to his hand all captured cards used as hired ships. We’ll have to wait for the FAQ.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We discussed this already in another thread -- Fungus can't keep the hired cards; they revert to being cards at the end of the encounter (and should be discarded, in my opinion, though the wording implies that Merchant gets them back).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
We discussed this already in another thread -- Fungus can't keep the hired cards; they revert to being cards at the end of the encounter (and should be discarded, in my opinion, though the wording implies that Merchant gets them back).


Discarded if he loses, returned if he wins, I believe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
petar todosic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've read it, you get your cards back to your hand (if you win) and can reuse them in your next encounter as cards or hired ships again. After all they are "hired ships" Quote: "hired ships become normal cards again and return to your hand"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
indidkid wrote:
As I've read it, you get your cards back to your hand (if you win) and can reuse them in your next encounter as cards or hired ships again. After all they are "hired ships" Quote: "hired ships become normal cards again and return to your hand"

As written, if your hired ships are sent to the warp or removed from the game you must (logically) discard them, but if they are instead captured then you get to (illogically) return them to your hand.

I strongly agree with Jefferson. This must have been a design or editing mistake and the text really should have said "Any hired ship that goes to the warp, is captured, or is removed from the game is discarded. Otherwise, hired ships become normal cards again and return to your hand at the end of the encounter."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
petar todosic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
indidkid wrote:
As I've read it, you get your cards back to your hand (if you win) and can reuse them in your next encounter as cards or hired ships again. After all they are "hired ships" Quote: "hired ships become normal cards again and return to your hand"

As written, if your hired ships are sent to the warp or removed from the game you must (logically) discard them, but if they are instead captured then you get to (illogically) return them to your hand.

I strongly agree with Jefferson. This must have been a design or editing mistake and the text really should have said "Any hired ship that goes to the warp, is captured, or is removed from the game is discarded. Otherwise, hired ships become normal cards again and return to your hand at the end of the encounter."


Now that I've ran that again through my head, I'll agree with you. I guess the new FAQ is gonna include this rewording..
Definitely an issue to be disscused before a game with the Merchant starts off.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.