Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Hebert
Canada
Vercheres
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are you thinking about buying this game? Well, if you ask me if you should buy it, I would say yes. Here’s why…

Claustrophobia is a dungeon crawling game for 2 players. As a huge fan of this type of games, I picked up a copy the first time I saw this game hit the shelves of my local store.

One of the players plays the “good” guys, and the other one play the demons. This game is play by choosing a scenario from the rulebook.

After you chose the scenario there is an initial setup, which differs based on the scenario that you chose. After the setup, the game is played by drawing dungeons tiles that connect to the evolving map of the dungeon. There are a lot of different tiles and some of them have special rules.

Other thing that is nice with the games is that either, the human player and the demons player roll dice that will affect the stats of their models. Make them faster, or tougher or deadlier. This injects a lot of possible strategies for both sides.

Pros:
High replay value. Lot of scenarios in rulebook + game website.
Dungeons map are always different when you replay a scenario.
Nice strategies to try on both sides.
Easy to learn and to teach.
Approx. 60 min to play(including setup) for each scenario.
Pre-Painted minis.

Cons:
Dungeons tiles are way oversized so it takes a BIG gaming table to play.
2-2 players. This is a subjective one. I often play board game with more than 2 players, so this game need to stay on the shelve most of the times.
Only one demon model, other than the Trogs, even if there is something like 7 different demons that you can spawn.

So if you like dungeon crawling type of games and you often play with only one person, go get this game. You guys will have many, many hours of fun with this eyes candy game.

Breach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Breach wrote:
Lot of scenario in rulebooks + game website.

There's what, 6 in the book? Not a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Breach wrote:

No, it is not a lot, but if you play each side, that is like,uh, 12.

Not to mention there appears to be alot of fan action for this game- there are already designer-approved scenarios for the game.

I have a feeling this is the next "hot" non-Euro euro.

I also suggest buying this jewel. I see more stuff coming for it down the pike. Expansions, T-Shirts, children named after Croc, and perhaps even a cure to the phobia itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Breach wrote:

And any uneven game can be played both sided for scenarios. That being said, 6 two sided is not a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JEEZ PAUL, WHATA WANT FOR 50 BUCKS?

UNLIMITED GAMETIME?

AIN,T GONNA HAPPEN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
volnon wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Breach wrote:

And any uneven game can be played both sided for scenarios. That being said, 6 two sided is not a lot.

There are already 4 additional downloadable scenarios and the game is less than 2 months old, I'd say the play value has been extended very quickly.

If you like dungeon crawlers, Claustrophobia is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Captain America, CLAUS is a great game, well worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
volnon wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Breach wrote:

Boards deploy randomly too, after initial setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rule book also has a variant for advanced players. It's a reverse auction, with bidding starting at 21 points, lowest bid playing the Humans. The Human player then uses the points bid to draft their team.

You can also find 3 new scenarios here: http://www.claustrophobia-theboardgame.com/en/?cat=8

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap! I was at the Sentry Box in Calgary yesterday and saw this. Looked interesting but chose to wait so I could GEEK it before I bought it. Should have pulled the trigger I guess. I live 2 hours away and I'm not sure when I'll get back to Calgary. Crap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krakenfan69 wrote:
Crap! I was at the Sentry Box in Calgary yesterday and saw this. Looked interesting but chose to wait so I could GEEK it before I bought it. Should have pulled the trigger I guess. I live 2 hours away and I'm not sure when I'll get back to Calgary. Crap!

I bet if you call the store they would sell it to you over the phone and ship it to you cheaper than it would cost for you to drive there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah. I have stuff shipped from them all the time. They have great service and lightning quick shipping. meeple

Kraken Fan #69

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mts azza
Greece
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
i would really like to have a dungeon crawling game and claustrophobia seems to be the best
choice at the momment.

But i admit i didnt know that ...
Breach wrote:

Only one demon model, other than the Trogs, even if there is something like 7 different demons that you can spawn.

I mean come on... how much would it cost for the creator to add the rest of the demons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterakos wrote:
i would really like to have a dungeon crawling game and claustrophobia seems to be the best
choice at the momment.

But i admit i didnt know that ...
Breach wrote:

I mean come on... how much would it cost for the creator to add the rest of the demons...

It's called keeping the price of the game down- for what you get in the box it is very reasonable (we were all shocked at the price of Space Hulk!)- all the demons could have driven the price of this game up to 80-90 bucks.
Besides---we are all hoping for expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.