Subject: Whats the minimum amount I need for some fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey there,

Im thinking about getting into the game and was wondering what I would actually need to start having some fun and playing the game in a decent way.

I've managed to find some cheap "I Chomp NY Monster boosters", so have been thinking about buying 3 of them and a NOW starter.

Would that be enough for playing, or would you suggest other boosters/a way to get started?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Tavares
Brazil
Goiânia
Goiás
flag msg tools
Playing 'til death!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! I just bought a starter set and two boosters, and after I read the rules I realised that I would need another starter set to play it properly...
Yesterday I bought a lot of singles miniatures / buildings, a monster booster and a red booster at Coolstuff, and I´m waiting for them to start playing. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Barasona
United States
Snoqualmie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that you should buy the 2 Now starters, then based on which factions that you got from those starters (hopefully 2 different ones) to focus on just buying units for those two factions. You could ebay it, but the best and cheapest way I've found is to buy the faction packs from TeamCovenant.com. You can buy whole forces for $30-$35! It comes with a building so with those and the ones from your starters, you should have enough for a small city and enough units for 2 faction-themed armies! Have fun!

(Of course, if you're a collecter, buying cases isn't too bad either since each case is equal distributed and you're guaranteed to get each figure in a case... if you ever want to split a Big in Japan unit case, pm me! :-) )

Cheers,
TXWA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to buy boosters, buy Unit boosters first: duplicate units are generally useful, while duplicate monsters are for trading/converting. In most sets that will also get you more buildings, too; I Chomp NY is the exception, though, so if your source most has that then buildings will be rare (but your unit boosters will be cheaper). I think you could get a good game out of 2 Starters and 4 unit boosters; easily good enough to get a feel for the game, anyway.

In general, I would be tempted to buy singles, unless you really do want a majority of the factions. (What can I say--I like giant monsters... blush ) I have no idea what the market for such is in the UK, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can somebody explain what will be in this upcoming Voltron release? If I've never played the game and don't own any of the figures, can I pick this up and play it by itself without ever buying anything to go with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The exact contents of the Voltron set have not yet been released, but it's being touted as a standalone, complete set that's still compatible with the rest of the figures. At the very least, it will come with 2 monster pairs, each a morpher monster that has smaller unit-sized monsters for the main/alpha form, and a standard ultra form. Both forces should come with some units, speculation is 4-8 each, and a few buildings, maybe 4. It will also presumably have a map, 2 life counters, 2 sets of dice, rules, and a play aid.

Outside of Voltron, what you need to play depends on whether you are looking to get a single force, or if you're looking to get a collection that supports two players by itself.

Team Covenant offers the best way to get any single force, in their faction packs. TC and eBay are both good places to pick up specific monsters and buildings.

If you just want to have fun, 1 starter are 3 unit boosters (series 1 or 4) per player will give you 1 monster pair, 16 units, and 5 buildings per player. It will also give each player dice...each player needs their own set of special dice, or at least 3 sets of differently colored dice...and the same map. The Accessory Packs are a good way to get the dice and not get duplicate copies of the map, but that changes the unit and building mix a little. Forces will be more random, and won't be very competitive with most organized play forces, but against each other should do well. And you should be able to trade between forces somewhat to match each monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.