Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was interesting to read this editorial (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/08/opinion/08krugman.html) and know the historical context of where he was going when he compared it to the Polish Sejm which I learned about playing God's Playground....regardless of whether one agrees with this columnist's opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit of hyperbole, of course -- I don't see a partition of the US coming any time soon.

As late as the Great Northern War (1700-1721), Poland could still function enough to field a sizable army, although it mostly fought against other Polish factions so this is perhaps not the best example.

But yes, if you had asked me if the word Sejm would appear in a Krugman piece any time soon, I would have bet against you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not about the US being partitioned by Canada, Mexico, and China.

It's more about the paralysis that the government can find itself in, as he pointed out. So yes, this is quite the similar situation as Poland found itself in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The political reasons for paralysis are very different. The Polish nobility was reacting to the rise of authoritarian monarchies all around them. They used the liberum veto primarily to preserve their idea of liberty from the tyranny of their elected king. In the end the various factions of the Sejm relied on foreign powers, which led eventually to foreign dominance and partition.

The modern US legislative system is primarily paralyzed by its inability to get its nose out of the trough of public subsidy of private profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
They used the liberum veto primarily to preserve their idea of liberty from the tyranny of their elected king.

I disagree stongly with that statement ... and Norman Davies authoritative work on the history of Poland, also titled God's Playground, concurs.

The major powers (Russia, Prussia, and Austria) would only need to "buy" ONE noble to veto any legislation in the Sejm. A foreign interest was able to paralyze and manipulate to their outside interests. There was always one noble willing to sell out for gold and greed. Unless you are equating their "preserve their idea of liberty" to treachery and gold?

The NY Times writer makes a similar comparision of how one senator is paralyzing something as simple as a presdiential appointment, as one Noble was able to block as well.

It is a fair comparision in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would certainly not deny it was put to that use. However, "liberty" (as they defined it) was certainly in the forefront of their minds insofar as how they related to their own king.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.