Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the posts, I see this has come up before. Here is my understanding of the terrain effects on LOS and spotting. Please tell me if I am correct or where I am going wrong.

Spotting: if unit being spotted is in clear terrain, it is auto spotted no matter what terrain is between it and unit attempting to spot.
If unit being spotted in in degrading or blocking terrain, must roll modified dice roll.

LOS: This is completely separate and independent from spotting and I think this is where the confusion is. If a unit is successfully spotted however that happens, then you need to determine if intervening terrain requires a modification to the defending dice rolls.

It seems that the terrain the spotted unit actually occupies does not affect the attack/defend dice rolls, but the intervening hexes do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan parker
Wales
montgomery
powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it is only spotted if one of your units has LOS if there is more than 2 degrading hexes there is no LOS and is not spotted unless one of your units move into LOS.

the last part i do not understand, if your unit is in a stone build there will be a +4 dice roll when you roll to defend. any degrading terrain will give me a -1 on my dice unless it is over 2 degrading hexes away then there is no LOS.

iam pretty sure that is the way it works

dylan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope you're missing a few things:

There is a difference between blocking and degrading terrain... just to be clear.

Spotting: Lets says unit A is Spotter/Firer and B is target.

If unit B is in clear terrain AND there is 2 or fewer degrading terrain graphics (because it's the graphic that counts not just the hex/hexside) on a straight line between A and B, then B is automatically spotted.

If there is any blocking terrain bewteen A and B, B is not spotted.

If B is in degrading terrain, then A must roll 3 or less on 1D6. Subtract 1 from the die roll for each degrading hex/hexside between A and B, maximum -2 because the third hex/hexside blocks the LOS. Again any blocking terrain bewteen A and B means A cannot see B.

If B is in blocking terrain, then A must roll 2 or less on 1D6
Subtract 1 from the die roll for each degrading hex/hexside between A and B, maximum -2 because the third hex/hexside blocks the LOS. Again any blocking terrain bewteen A and B means A cannot see B.

Firing:

Any degarding terrain bewteen A and B might have a modifier on A's attack 1d6 roll. Some degrading terrain have a 0 terrain modifier. Some of these can cancel the +1 modifier for shooting at a unit under a move marker.

Any blocking terrain between A and B means A cannot see B and cannot fire at B.

If B is in terrain, degrading or blocking, that has a positive terrain modifier then that modifier is added to B's defence 1d6 roll.

Hope that helps.

radsailor wrote:
Reading through the posts, I see this has come up before. Here is my understanding of the terrain effects on LOS and spotting. Please tell me if I am correct or where I am going wrong.

Spotting: if unit being spotted is in clear terrain, it is auto spotted no matter what terrain is between it and unit attempting to spot.
If unit being spotted in in degrading or blocking terrain, must roll modified dice roll.

LOS: This is completely separate and independent from spotting and I think this is where the confusion is. If a unit is successfully spotted however that happens, then you need to determine if intervening terrain requires a modification to the defending dice rolls.

It seems that the terrain the spotted unit actually occupies does not affect the attack/defend dice rolls, but the intervening hexes do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what about the rule that states a unit in a clear hex is automatically spotted ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
If B is in degrading terrain, then A must roll 3 or less on 1D6. Subtract 1 from the die roll for each degrading hex/hexside between A and B, maximum -2 because the third hex/hexside blocks the LOS. Again any blocking terrain bewteen A and B means A cannot see B.

Subtract 1 from the die roll for each degrading hex/hexside between A and B, maximum -2 because the third hex/hexside blocks the LOS. Again any blocking terrain bewteen A and B means A cannot see B.

That's all good except for one critical piece of info -- don't subtract 1 from the die roll -- ADD to it! Very important!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
what about the rule that states a unit in a clear hex is automatically spotted ?

It is, as long as there is no blocking terrain between or less thatn 2 degrading terrain between,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
Quote:

That's all good except for one critical piece of info -- don't subtract 1 from the die roll -- ADD to it! Very important!

DOH! You are right of course, add to spotting rolls not subtract.blush

I usually always think in terms of the die roll needed. so 3 or less becomes 2 or less becomes 1 or less... hence subtract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos S. Olivares PĂ©rez
Spain
Vigo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:

A unit in a clear hex is automatically spotted by all units independently the terrain of other hexes.

Imagine, if this clear hex is fully encircled by blocking hexes this spotted unit cannot be fired. Note the difference between "spotted" and "be fired".

Am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.