Popular Tags: [View All]
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a way to have a Word file with predefined styles in it that are not modified by styles defined in the users normal.dot file. So that the Word file looks the same no matter who views it. Possible?

Oh, and this is for Office 2003.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Chewable is a pretty good word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an answer for you seven years ago, but I forgot it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you can copy normal.dot, rename it, and make a Word document use it. I don't know if you can integrate the .dot and .doc files into one file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems entirely lame to me that "style" information would be saved in the document as opposed to plain vanilla formatting. Sure, if I start editing what you send me and apply my own "style" definitions to it, I'd expect my style designations to take precedence, but if you just want the file to "look the same" to people, why should the "style" matter? What if you've created a style for your document that signifies Wingdings 24 pt. bold italic, and called it "Gumby" and the end user doesn't have a style named "Gumby?" If it were me and the end user didn't have that style, I'd just work to get them dismissed, or beaten to a bloody pulp, were they already unemployed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:
I think Chewable is a pretty good word.

Wrong thread dude, try this one! I love the word...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
It seems entirely lame to me that "style" information would be saved in the document as opposed to plain vanilla formatting. Sure, if I start editing what you send me and apply my own "style" definitions to it, I'd expect my style designations to take precedence, but if you just want the file to "look the same" to people, why should the "style" matter? What if you've created a style for your document that signifies Wingdings 24 pt. bold italic, and called it "Gumby" and the end user doesn't have a style named "Gumby?" If it were me and the end user didn't have that style, I'd just work to get them dismissed, or beaten to a bloody pulp, were they already unemployed.

It's for documents that have to meet corporate guidelines - so headers and paragraphs have to be in certain fonts, numbered, bolded, underlined in certain ways, set ruler distances and so on. There's no way hundreds of users can be expected to know / remember what the 'correct' look and feel is, and no one to police it, so our templates use styles (which are also used to automatically generate tables of contents, list of figures etc).

But, it seems like the styles aren't set in stone. If I have a 'Heading 1' style in my document, then a colleague can see the document differently if he has a 'Heading 1' defined (differently to me) in his normal.dot, or if the 'Heading 1' style is based on the 'Normal' style and his is different from mine.

In some documents we have found that it can screw up the paragraph numbering, which makes reviewing and collaborating on documents difficult (especially if the customer is involved).

And I'm told by our IT dept that we can't distribute a standard 'Normal.dot', and even if we did it is continuously modified by Word anyway.

And yes, I frequently want to beat certain colleagues to a bloody pulp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I want you to know that I respect you so much, and have so much damned free time, that before I posted anything in this thread I used the Microsoft Office 2003 online tutorial for "Styles and Formatting" and your question wasn't (how surprising) addressed anywhere within it. But I did learn an awful lot about something that could have been compressed into maybe three meaningful sentences which will never prove helpful to me in any way, shape, form, or style!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I looked there too. I hope it's a case of 'undocumented' rather than 'impossible'.

Have you ever watched Harry Hill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I think you just need to make a template with nothing in it but style information, and attach that to the document that you distribute, but I barely know or care. It's possible that this link will help you:

http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001516_Quickly_Formatting_Multip...

It's equally possible that it will not.

Update: I've not watched Harry Hill. Should I?

Further Update: I am a big Burt Kwouk fan, I must look into this further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, I'll try that.

Harry Hill is an acquired taste. What made me think of it was the 'respect' - whatever the context, the word always reminds me of Stouffer:

"Sorted - respect due!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd enjoy seeing he and David Cross duke it out on Battle of Acquired Taste Comedians Show, if somebody ever makes one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Okay, I think you just need to make a template with nothing in it but style information, and attach that to the document that you distribute, but I barely know or care.

Yeah, that's it. D'oh! You just create a null.dot that has absolutely nothing in it--no headers, no fonts, nothing. Then you make your document all manually formatted.

Of course, the other option is to save in a format that doesn't have a concept of style sheet. This is why, despite PDFs being huge and slow, just about everyone uses them for document distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, there's a little more that I forgot to say. The document templates are provided to the user from our document management system (as *.doc, not *.dot), and assigned as the file for a new document record. I can't mess with individual user's normal.dot file or anything like that.

The hope is that the provided Word file can explicitly define / contain the needed styles, instead of looking at the user's normal.dot file - kind of like how you can embed a font in a PDF.

Also, we do create PDFs for distribution, but at the moment the PDF could look different depending on who created it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just have to create such a file, then you just use "18 pt. Arial Bold" instead of header1, and so forth. I don't know of any way to embed fonts (though it may be possible) but certain fonts are guaranteed to be on any Windows system, notably Arial, Times New Roman, and New Courier(?) and their Italic and bold versions.

If you want to produce a document a user's settings won't passively affect, try Tools / Merge Document and merge whatever dot file you're using into the doc file. I'd change the name to weird.dot or some such. I haven't tested this, but it seems logical since .dot is one of the choices for file merging.

If you want to produce a document a user can't actively change, try looking up "protect" in help. But, I don't think you can really succeed. Word is a Swiss army knife, and you can't keep the user from cutting himself if he tries hard enough.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and you can probably change a styled file to an unstyled file by writing it out as RTF, then re-importing it and saving it as .doc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.