Popular Tags: [View All]
Murray C
Canada
Vancouver
British Colombia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing a bunch of people rave about Crokinole, I wanted to try out the game myself. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find a board to demo and I definitely did not want to drop the fat wad of cash to get my own board just yet.

Luckily, dotMatrix has created a version of the game for the iTouch/iPhone, called Croke(tm!). The game is only $2, but ever frugal, I've only tried out the Lite version, which is free.

Settings

The design of the game is relatively simple, but that's fine. In the Lite version, you have options to set games to be determined by points or rounds. These options are fixed at 25 points and 2 rounds respectively for the Lite version, but I'd imagine that you can change them freely in the full version.

Additionally, you are restricted to 4 discs and two players (human vs. AI0 in the Lite version. I can see the option to change the numbers of discs per round, but it's locked in the Lite version. Uncertain is the player cap and if there is local/online multi player.

Playing the Game

There are two methods that you can use to make your shots. First, you slide the disc to where you want to make the shot from. If you are using the sling method, you can then pull a tab back like a pinball plunger and release to send the disc flying like an elastic. The other option is to flick your finger at the disc like in real life.

While I'd imagine the flicking method to be a better representation of how the game is played in real life, it is too difficult to control. The area you flick over is perhap not large enough to get an accurate read of your finger speed and the same motion can create varied results, not to mention sending the disc in the wrong direction.

As such, I have been using primarily the sling method. The only issue here is that it is almost ungodly accurate and it is too easy to nail the bullseye after a bit of practice. Of course, I've never played on a real board. It may be just as easy to make reliable shots in real life.

The AI

Crokinole is not just a game of flicking really hard. There is some strategy involved, especially if you cannot make a 20 point shot on demand. There is no way to adjust the AI difficulty in the Lite version and its ability varies from shot to shot and game to game. At times, I would trade bulls-eyes. Other times, the AI would miss every shot and I would make a clean sweep. It is hard to grasp the strategy in the game from all this, but I can see some of it.

Overall

Croke is definitely fun, just like the real Crokinole. I can easily see why people can play endless rounds of it. Even against an inconsistent AI, I can still enjoy dozens of games.

If you're a fan of the game, or dexterity games in general, I would heartily recommend Croke or Croke Lite for your iPhone/iTouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I have it on my iPod Touch...and one can make that 20 point shot on demand (well I can, so not so hard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a large list of boardgames on the iphone, check this GeekList:
http://boardgame.geekdo.com/geeklist/27829/iphone-board-game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the non-lite version. It's fun for passing the time and makes you want to get a real board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.