Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Baracca
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, just a question, is there any rule that negates the possibility to evade outside map for units other than leaders?
For Leaders there is a specific rule, from chapter 13:

You may choose to Evade your leader off your side of the
battlefield. This saves the leader from becoming a Victory
Banner for your opponent but you lose a strong command
piece by doing so.

Thanks in advance
Antonio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Dennis
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
its my understanding that you cannot evade other units off the board. You have to have room to evade so it follows that if your units are at the map edge then they would not be eligible to evade.

I know you lose a unit block for every hex that you can't retreat off the map edge.

but i could be wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The special rule is for leaders only (Note: leaders are not units). Units that hit the map edge, lose steps, as Will said. If you do not have a free hex, you cannot evade...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For evading, no. But note that war machines can retreat off the board without giving up a victory banner. But perhaps you already know that, as your question concerned only evading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that an Evade for units is a two-hex movement to the rear. Units which can Evade that only have one hex of movement space available may do so for just one hex (up to their Friendly Board Edge, for example) but only if there is no other two-hex path available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Antonio,
as others said: no unit can evade off the map (except leaders, that are not considered as units).

I hope this one could be useful
- Evade FAQ
- Retreat FAQ

Alessandro - CCAncients.net ADMIN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and in fact losing your units because they are on your back row is one of the most frustrating aspects of the game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pavobueno wrote:
But note that war machines can retreat off the board without giving up a victory banner.

War machines may not retreat off of the board (unless there are some rules that I am unaware of...quite possible ), but do leave the board, not counting as victory banner for the opponent, upon making a successful one or two hex evade. And maybe that's what you meant anyway - the more I type the more I feel that I am misinterpreting your post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 16 of the the Third Edition rules, it states that a War Machine that makes a successful Evade (declaring the intent to Evade and then surviving a Close Combat attack) of one or two hexes immediately leaves the board and does not count as a Victory Banner. So the Evade could take place anywhere on the board so long as at least one hex is open behind the War Machine to Evade into. Todd's answer is in line with this.

A player controlling a War Machine that is being attacked in Close Combat could decide not to Evade (or it may have no choice in the matter), in which case it suffers casualties (and giving a Victory Banner to the enemy if completely eliminated) or retreats the requisite number of hexes as the situation dictates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.