Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play CCGs a lot, be it Magic the gathering or Star Wars CCG. Then my obsession shifted to board games recently. And this past week I went to a local hobby store and they were playing "Malifaux", a miniatures game. I was hooked immediately. I have not even got my mailfaux figs in the mail yet and i am already researching Warhammer. My wife is about to lose her mind, and I'm wondering what will i move to next. Are these games simply gateway drugs to more expensive hobbies? Anyone going through this with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went from CCGs to Warhammer to a full-fledged board gamer, as I figured that keeping investing in the same game experience, limited to 2 players, was not optimal. So I started investing in board games to have a good variety. I'd say, if you can stop at a few board games, you'll be ok. But there will always be a game that will cover an area where your collection is lacking... So! With discipline, your wife will be happy. If you get crazy with board games, you might get some trouble!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like no matter what game you find, you'll get in a little over your head. Mini games are MUCH more expensive than CCGs IMO, I'll never forget the absolute regret I had buying a case of a popular Mini game... and I play Magic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Riley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
As the son of a Mets fan, there was no way I could move to Los Angeles and root for the Lakers.
badge
The best NBA team on paper, for 6 years running.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to exclusively play CCG's, but due to their decline in popularlity, I had to give them up.

I have found that games with lots of options help scratch my CCG itch, such as:
Puerto Rico (each player picks a role each turn, and their are numerous options of how to spend your money or achieve your victory)
Knights of the Dinner Table : HACK! (is a card game that feels like an RPG, very silly, but still has some strategy)
Power Grid (lots of counting involved, including tracking your opponents money, which is like counting your opponents deck)
Settlers of Catan: Card Game (2 player version of the board game, with lots of expansions for variety)
Cities & Knights of Catan (I have not played this, but there are lots of little bits and resource gathering, with the ultimate goal of fully upgrading your city, whilst defending against raiders)
Skip-bo (surprisingly, this game scratches my CCG-itch too, with effecting resource management, and hoarding of specific cards to alter the flow of the game)

Hope this helps.
~D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wagner Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrayDaddy wrote:
(...) I'm wondering what will i move to next. (...)

Bankruptcy cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wagner_rodrigues wrote:
GrayDaddy wrote:
(...) I'm wondering what will i move to next. (...)

Bankruptcy :cry:

Beat me to answering "Poor House!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
My path has been:

Wargames to (early) Ameritrash to wargames to RPG's to Ameritrash to CCG's to CMG's to Euros to wargames to Euros to CMG's to wargames.

So, I don't follow any one route. And I continue to enjoy all sorts of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Northern Rommel
Canada
flag msg tools
LordHellfury wrote:
Warhammer is not only a very bad game, but its likely one of the most expensive for a miniature wargame. If youre going to go through all the trouble, there are TONS of better games out there.

I also say this as a warhammer player.

I agree, both as a game designer and as a former Lame Workshop minis collector. It is one of the worse sets of miniatures rules I have every played. It is meant to sell miniatures, and thats about it.

Mind you the minis out now are a reasonable quality. The plastics detail looks nice, which is a big sell for the OCD folks. The rules are designed to cater to the power obsessed gamer imho, many of whom are also OCD folks. Older verisons of the game were worse, then there was some small effort seemingly with Ravening Hordes to go back to sensible play. But it seems they are going back to that power character mentality with some of the recent set releases. I think they have realized that their core consumers are the power gamer types.

To those of us who remember back to the very old days the high pricing is a betrayal of the old Lame Workshop supporters, as the whole idea of going to plastics was to greatly lower the price normally spend on metals. These days I invest in more sensible metals minis or just make my own plastics ones.

If you need a CCG style fix try Dominion, San Juan (Puetro Rico card game version), or the cardgame for Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.