Popular Tags: complaint [+] [View All]
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, someone joined our community, and has been very prolific in contributing (around 50 posts in their first two days). I won't say who it is, but I will mention some highlights in their posts. They have:

- stated this is a "poorly designed website"
- explained how to revamp the rating system (more than once)
- explained why we need thumbs down (which was removed for good reason a long time ago)
- suggested that the way Collections works is ridiculous and needs revision
- starting explaining to other new users how to use the site

Derk and Aldie have done all of us a wonderful service by bringing this site into being. If you are a new user, please find out what is going on here before you start telling everyone how "poorly designed" the site is.

Now, I am very hard to offend. I have probably made more than my share of "let's be reasonable" type of posts, trying to cut down on the flaming. I have had some pretty strong statements, bordering on attacks, thrown at me. I have always tried to hold my tongue, and it has always been a good idea to wait and see what was really meant. Often, the person I disagree with now I fully support later. Because of this, I have never blocked a user. So far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
feldmafx wrote:
Dirk and Aldie

Its Derk and Aldie. I think Dirk and Aldie is an assassination team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
A "new user"? Or an old user which a sockpuppet account used to complain with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
feldmafx wrote:
Dirk and Aldie

Its Derk and Aldie. I think Dirk and Aldie is an assassination team.

Fixed it. I was trying to contain my emotions; that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for catching it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I never considered that. If that's the case, I'm a sucker for falling for the bait. However, it's just as rude either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While I appreciate all the hard work that goes into the site, I don't think that shields the Admins from complaint. If something is poorly designed, complicated, easily misunderstood, cumbersome or just plain confusing I think it has to be stated. I've made similar complaints myself. I try to be as tactful as I can about it, but there are certainly complaints to be made, and I don't think it really serves anyone to ignore them.

In the end, the site serves my needs, regardless of the difficulties in doing them. Are there things that could be improved? Yes. Unequivocally. Are they going to be improved? Probably not. There is just too much to be done on basic upkeep and getting the new sites (RPG, Video Game, etc) to really pay attention to improving what is already here. Not to mention that what seems like a trivial change to the site is much more difficult than it seems, as anyone who has done any amount of coding should be able to tell you.

So, yes, users should continue to complain. Maybe things will change. But try to keep it civil and don't get your expectations too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Damn, he found me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave klokner
United States
Edgewood
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Spartacus!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
It's a new user, and yes it's been a bit overwhelming. We're working night and day here folks to improve things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
♫ If you're having site problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 problems but BGG ain't one. ♬

HIT ME!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dudschus
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Crap Barnes is back....er uh sorry....ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Just name names.......save everybody some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
While I appreciate all the hard work that goes into the site, I don't think that shields the Admins from complaint. If something is poorly designed, complicated, easily misunderstood, cumbersome or just plain confusing I think it has to be stated. I've made similar complaints myself. I try to be as tactful as I can about it, but there are certainly complaints to be made, and I don't think it really serves anyone to ignore them.

In the end, the site serves my needs, regardless of the difficulties in doing them. Are there things that could be improved? Yes. Unequivocally. Are they going to be improved? Probably not. There is just too much to be done on basic upkeep and getting the new sites (RPG, Video Game, etc) to really pay attention to improving what is already here. Not to mention that what seems like a trivial change to the site is much more difficult than it seems, as anyone who has done any amount of coding should be able to tell you.

So, yes, users should continue to complain. Maybe things will change. But try to keep it civil and don't get your expectations too high.

I agree completely. Saying this is a "poorly designed website" after four days on the site strikes me as lacking civility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyClifton wrote:
Just name names.......save everybody some time.

Believe me, I thought about it. But my point isn't to go after anyone (though I hope they read this), it's to remind new people that this site is the work of a whole lot of people, led by Aldie and Derk. Maybe that's why I am so taken aback by this new user. This is MY site. Even my minor comments and inconsequential posts build the community. Just like yours.

Someone just tearing into after four days offends me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
feldmafx wrote:
Orph wrote:

I agree completely. Saying this is a "poorly designed website" after four days on the site strikes me as lacking civility.

Fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll defend the new user some.

Yes, they were quite brusque the first day or so, but they've been much better since. And they've been settling in, contributing in some game threads, etc.

I think it's just abundant new user enthusiasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I wasn't the only person to find out who the user in question was. I was reading a few of his/her posts when suddenly I got a message that I timed out because too many other people were accessing the user in question at the same time as I was. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
It's a new user, and yes it's been a bit overwhelming. We're working night and day here folks to improve things.

I would tip you Scott for that but tipping you here on BGG is like tipping Bill Gates $5.

While no website is perfect and one person's wants from a website will always differ from another person's I think BGG is amazingly functional and user friendly. BGG wouldn't have nearly the following it currently enjoys if it were indeed a "poorly designed website".

As for our new user. I appreciate his desire for the website to be improved. I think he went a bit over the top but at the same time I think his intentions were well meant. I believe once he gets his sea legs he will be a fine contributor to the BGG community. I hope he doesn't take this thread the wrong way. I don't think he understood BGG in terms of how it is a true community and how things have evolved to the present day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are just as passionate about the games they play, they will certainly be a great contributor! That I definitely welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Complaint Department - though I appreciate the sentiment the OP is trying to convey, I'm don't feel this is an appropriate thread for the How To forum.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dogawful wrote:
I'm Spartacus!

ninja

No Im Sparticus!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, to be honest everyone is allowed their opinion and allowed to voice it, nomatter how long they have been with the site.

The website is completly and utterly dreadful for new users. I mean, its easy enough to find a board game your looking for, but to do anything like rating it, recording plays, changing your own personal info, heck submitting a game is bloody dreadful (especially if you have submitted the designers/company for the game at the same time), and theres still things I have no idea how to do even now.

I still love the site and appreciate the work the admins have done, but im because I like it I was it to continue to grow and succeed, and im yet to see any changes whatsoever which have made anything easier for new users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.