Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really glad I bought this fantastic game. I've only played without exploration tiles so far. Have any of you played with the exploration tokens? If so, what do you think about them? Play with or without? Why or why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with them yet either, but here's what I think.

PRO : Heroes have more to do to affect the rest of the game.

CON : Clutters the board with more little pieces and the random distribution could strongly favor one player over another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple games without them. Once I started playing WITH them, I wouldn't play it any other way.

Sure, you could have some distribution issues, but due to the number of the tokens and the relative close proximity of the players, I don't think any of them will be gamebreaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think playing with is the way to go, especially if you guarantee at least one of the dragon thrones is in the mix. It gives heroes something to do outside of questing and gets people out there searching for that rune. Once it is found that area could easily become a hotbed of activity.

As for the random distribution, I don't think any of the tokens are so overpowering as to cause an imbalance no matter the distribution. They are relatively small bonuses and hindrances but that chance for a rune really makes them valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Sweeney
United States
ABQ
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking with.

Also for the Dungeon one, I am thinking of doing a Epic Quest, where the Hero is allowed 1 or 2 henchmen and does an adventure that lats for the year.

End result is a Reward of 2 cards, but have to pass 4 Random tests.

Some Battles, some Duels, some Diplomacy, some Tests.

Will do up the cards this weekend.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S R
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played with the exploration option, and I do not think I will ever play a game without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lange
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question: is it normal that all exploration tokens get explored during a game? I wonder because I would rather not always include the dragon throne when randomizing. If there is only one unexplored location left and no dragon throne has been found, I don't want to be sure that that location holds a dragon throne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrynkelberg wrote:
Related question: is it normal that all exploration tokens get explored during a game? I wonder because I would rather not always include the dragon throne when randomizing. If there is only one unexplored location left and no dragon throne has been found, I don't want to be sure that that location holds a dragon throne.

I have yet to have a game where every token gets explored. In fact, for my games, maybe about 1 out of 3 tokens actually gets explored, because the Exploration for us has been secondary to trying to quest; we'll explore a token on the way to a quest, or at the quest location, but don't often explore random squares, as the time is short in the game - not enough for exploring willy-nilly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lange
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is good to hear. I don't know why, but I have an aversion to house rules, however minor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrynkelberg wrote:
That is good to hear. I don't know why, but I have an aversion to house rules, however minor.

I can relate, I almost never play with house rules myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.