Subject: Explore Store going out of business? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Dyck
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I've only been to the Polo Park location but the store just doesn't look like it's planning to stick around looking at the level of stock it currently has. Employees claim they aren't going out of business but I'm wondering if that's just the line they've been told to give the public.

Anybody know anything about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Inventory levels are currently lower than we'd like, but as far as I know, the store is not going out of business. Space at the Polo location has currently been condensed to avoid looking at empty shelves. The owner is working hard to get the store back to its former glory.

(Caveat: I work for the Explore Store, but this reply is the truth as far as I know it, not just a line.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dyck
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info. I've got a gift certificate I'm a little worried about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hansey
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hope they don't close. I must have bought 10-12 games (impulse buys) over the last 2 years there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it happened... I went there over the weekend to pick up a game and it was shuttered. The info booth folks said it had shut down, although I suppose they may have moved somewhere else out of the mall (unlikely).

It's too bad, my kids and I really liked that place... it was far less soulless than the nearest alternative (Toys 'r us). :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Is the St Vital location still open? It is always sad to see a game store close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Join us in June for Manitoba's longest-running game convention! www.prairiecon.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was open when I dropped by today. They were having a big store-wide sale though, which could possibly be a bad sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Viddal
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Eustace
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I figured their shelves were getting a little sparse but didn't expect anything so quick. It'll definitely be sad to see another game store close up in the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Join us in June for Manitoba's longest-running game convention! www.prairiecon.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following was posted yesterday (Sat, May 30) by Rick Loftson on the Winnipeg Boardgame Club Yahoo Group:

Quote:
Hi all,

I have closed the store and warehouse.

Gaming this Thursday is cancelled.

If people are interested in playing games sometime let me know.

Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Goertzen
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yesterday the St. Vital location was closed with a letter from the mall posted saying that rent had not been paid and the lease was being terminated.

Is the Polo Park location closing too?

It's a shame the place is closing up; but I have to admit the game prices became very high compared to some other places in Winnipeg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goertzenator wrote:
Yesterday the St. Vital location was closed with a letter from the mall posted saying that rent had not been paid and the lease was being terminated.

Is the Polo Park location closing too?

It's a shame the place is closing up; but I have to admit the game prices became very high compared to some other places in Winnipeg.

I guess that's it for the Explore Store. Now I'm kicking myself for not purchasing a couple of games that I was eyeing up when I was in there last week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Buhr
Canada
Gladstone
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is unfortunate news. Their prices were on the high side, but if you wanted board games, especially Euros and casual games, they had great selection, plus the convenience of being near two other money sinks (Games Workshop and Chapters) at St. Vital. Pendragon has good selection, but they tend to focus more on wargames, Ameritrash, and RPG products (not that I'm complaining, being a through and through Ameritrasher). I guess this gives me more motivation to check out GameKnight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.