Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Perry
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my latest 2-player game, I went for a Graveyard strategy. It worked pretty well: I ended up with a vampire and two ghosts for 6 points (plus 2 for the room). I also grabbed the Hall of Fame for a few more points and ended up with 31, my personal best.

This got me to thinking: what about a straight room strategy? Rooms are the easiest way to get bonus points. You can theoretically have 8 rooms. That's 16 points, before you even add in the points for the point-rooms and the inevitable +2 from Lord of Halls.

Realistically, you're not going to pull off 8. You'll need a lot of tunnels, meaning you'll need a lot of gold. Then there's the matter of being able to take a room every turn -- your first action is permanently the room card. (On that note, this probably works best in a 2-player game, where you're most likely to be able to grab a room.)

Year 1 rooms to prioritize would include the Magic Room and the digging room -- these would cut down on the number of times you'd need to take those actions, and you'll want a lot of imps to staff your other production rooms. The trap room could also be good, since you won't have a lot of actions or gold to spare on defenses. Since you can only get one room per season, though, you're realistically restricted by luck of the draw.

Rooms to avoid: the printing press. You shouldn't be pulling in too much evil this way. You'll get more mileage out of any other production room.

Monsters: A vampire in year 1 is an excellent idea; if you can add in another vampire or (ideally) a golem in year 2, you're all set. (Two monsters per room, remember?)

Traps: Trapdoor is your friend, especially if you have the vampire/golem combo. Cursed ring is an expensive replacement. If you can't get either, your options are kill the adventurers in one round, fight in a tunnel, lose a room, or take a slime in addition to your vampire.

Pros:
- Gets you a lot of points
- Doesn't generate much evil
- You'll have an easy time with Tunnellord, Lord of Halls, and Lord of Imps

Cons:
- Really expensive -- gold will be in tight supply
- Taxation and Earthquake events can really ruin your day
- Other player(s) will quickly realize what you're doing
- Relatively low defenses: you'll need to play carefully

Supposing a 2-player game with 6 rooms (including HoF), 6 adventurers, 2 monsters, 2 conquered tiles, and 3 exclusive titles, you have 31 points -- and that's baseline. There's room for improvement if you have more point-scoring rooms, monsters, or titles.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriks Dunens

Minnesota
msg tools
I always want to play all of Vlaada's games
badge
Yes, even Travel Blog
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the general idea of where you are going with this. I just can't imagine it being done in a three of four person game. Also, in a two player game, if the opponent gets wise they could always push room building up, although only every other turn. The only other concern is gold production since you can't mind gold in rooms. It'd be a tricky balance.

I'm playing tonight and will potentially give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rooms are awesome. If you could do this and still pay your taxes/monsters and kill the adventurers, you'd win, almost guaranteed. That's why when I play 2P or 3P I play that the AI player always takes the rightmost Room/Monster when it's their turn on those actions. It makes strategies like this one a lot riskier, but more balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.