Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I put something up for sale in the marketplace, I believe I have fairly priced it, and generally am not open to lesser offers and so would decline them. I've never received such an offer, however.

Perhaps you are undervaluing the games you are making offers on. Or the seller is overvaluing, in which case, look for another seller or purchase the game from a store or dealer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
why not try ebay if you don;t want to pay the amount the sellers are asking?

some used games are out of print, rare editions, or valuable for other reasons.

DeltaAlphaBravo wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps you are undervaluing the games you are making offers on. Or the seller is overvaluing, in which case, look for another seller or purchase the game from a store or dealer.

I agree but the marketplace is an avenue for a user to find a used game. Other sellers are generally new only.

The value of used games is definitely subjective but that is not the crux of the question:

Are my failures in marketplace the norm or have other users found the 'make offer' function succeeds for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had some offers accepted and others not. It depends on the person and the offers made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember having an offer flat out refused or ignored. Usually they are either accepted or I get a counter-offer. So I guess you have been unlucky, assuming you haven't been offering half the listed price all the time

And maybe LoMa is an exception, but I share your impression that generally the ask prices on the BGG Marketplace are a tad, let's say, optimistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas coe
United States
aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've never had an offer refused or ignored, but i've only made one....80 bucks for a new tumblin dice....it was worth it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider them for my marketplace offers. Often you can get a lower price from me just by asking.
I don't actually have any listings right now, in case you were wondering. All of my items are listed in my auction:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/51226/various-games-th...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Theiss
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeltaAlphaBravo wrote:

The value of used games is definitely subjective but that is not the crux of the question:

Are my failures in marketplace the norm or have other users found the 'make offer' function succeeds for them?

Used or new most games hold the same price.Only well played games would lose value if I wanted the game. What game were you offering what price for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hoot
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
I have had about all of mine accepted. I use a strategy that seems to work pretty well. I offer more than what they are asking and they seem to always take it. Just joking. I have done pretty well with my offers. Sometimes I get a counter offer but overall, I have been treated fairly here in the marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get quite a few offers for items I have up. Often if something has been sitting out longer than a few months, I'm more interested in being rid of it than squeezing every last penny out of it. That said, I think I'm the exception to the rule. I can't say all of my offers get accepted but as least in the marketplace people generally respond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Knight wrote:
generally the ask prices on the BGG Marketplace are a tad, let's say, optimistic.

Well part of that is that the better and average prices are snapped up quite quickly so all you are left with are the above average ones. I think also part is that this website is very targeted towards gamers, and the marketplace is selling games.

Another part is, my guess is some of the games the owners would rather keep the game, but have put it up on a price where they would be willing to sell it. Kinda a "I'm not really ready to sell it, but if someone wants to pay ___ amount, then I guess I can"
On ebay doing that would cost you money, but here it doesn't. And really, thats fine, because if someone desperately wants the game and is willing to pay, then its better to have it availible somehow, than not availible at all.
Now of course the disadvantage is that some traders probably list them and forget them (you can always check when that person last logged in on thier profile page).

There may be other factors, but those are the ones that come to mind immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some offers accepted and some declined and some have made counter offers. No harm in trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeltaAlphaBravo wrote:
I have made several offers in marketplace using "make offer". Most of my offers are ignored until they expire and the rest are usually declined.

I know some users are running game stores but some of the individual users I would believe are inclined to actually consider reasonable offers.

Has anyone had any luck?

Not an answer to your question, but you got me curious--What games have you made offers on and what were the offers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had "Make Offers" accepted. But most often only if its a couple dollars less than what they are listed for. I almost never get an accept if I offer less than %80 of listed price.

I have most success when I offer to pay a flat price for a game usually between the list price and the shipping. Example: A game is listed for $35.00, but shipping comes out to $12.00. If I make an offer of $38-$40 including shipping, I usually get an accept.

Also,if you can, track the game. A used game which sits for months tends to get accepted more less than list.

All in all, do not expect "Hot Deals". It costs users virtually nothing to list and they can let the item sit forever if they want. Unless they don't care much, or need money chances are they won't let it go for much less than they listed it for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.