Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still learning the game. Just want to make sure I understand two elements:

- Players ONLY get 1 Traitor, chosen from 4, at the start of the game, save The Harkonen (likely mispelled here) who keep all 4. No player gets any more during game time, and once used do not get it back. Is this correct?

- Without the Fremen in a game, the storm will move anywhere between 2-6 spaces (given 2 players need to choose a number from 1, 2 or 3). In this case, wouldn't that mean its always then safe to be in the sector adjacent the current storm? Why not just do what the Fremen do (i.e.: draw a title) save no one looks at it and it is revealed on the next turn? Would this be too significant an advantage/disadvantage and if so why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
Still learning the game. Just want to make sure I understand two elements:

- Players ONLY get 1 Traitor, chosen from 4, at the start of the game, save The Harkonen (likely mispelled here) who keep all 4. No player gets any more during game time, and once used do not get it back. Is this correct?

Pick one leader who is in your employ.
They remain in your employ the entire game.
If an opponent is stupid enough to use a traitorous leader twice in a game, they deserve what they get.

Quote:

- Without the Fremen in a game, the storm will move anywhere between 2-6 spaces (given 2 players need to choose a number from 1, 2 or 3). In this case, wouldn't that mean its always then safe to be in the sector adjacent the current storm? Why not just do what the Fremen do (i.e.: draw a title) save no one looks at it and it is revealed on the next turn? Would this be too significant an advantage/disadvantage and if so why?

Most people use the storm marker regardless of whether the Fremen are in the game or not. They also don't pre-select it, they draw it at the moment it is needed (because no-one can forecast it).

Oh, and the Fremen should always be in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
wouldn't that mean its always then safe to be in the sector adjacent the current storm?

The storm affects the sectors it passes over also, so the adjacent sector is definitely not safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shijuro wrote:
zfairborn wrote:
wouldn't that mean its always then safe to be in the sector adjacent the current storm?

The storm affects the sectors it passes over also, so the adjacent sector is definitely not safe.

Okay, I just double-checked that rule. Pretty sure we played it wrong. Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! So if the Storm moves 6 sectors, then EVERY unit that is not on a rock-region or in a Stronghold is wiped out from where the Storm started to where it ended. Is that correct?

Dang that's Brutal!! Makes thematic sense mind.

And so using the 'Random Counter' for storm-movement is all good then, regardless of Freman presence or no?

And do I understand correctly that the Fremen can CHOOSE how fast the Storm moves (i.e.: they get to pick which counter [1-6] the Storm will move - they do NOT select a token randomly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the Fremen randomly select, but they have the advantage of knowing where it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And do I understand correctly that the Fremen can CHOOSE how fast the Storm moves (i.e.: they get to pick which counter [1-6] the Storm will move - they do NOT select a token randomly).

The only time the storm can be controlled is by someone playing the "Weather Control" card.

Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
I believe the Fremen randomly select, but they have the advantage of knowing where it goes.

Yep, what he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
Ah! So if the Storm moves 6 sectors, then EVERY unit that is not on a rock-region or in a Stronghold is wiped out from where the Storm started to where it ended. Is that correct?

Dang that's Brutal!! Makes thematic sense mind.

Wait, no. There are three sectors per player dot, so 18 around the board. With maximum draws every time (and no weather control), it takes 3 turns for the storm to go around the board. Realistically it's twice that long.

Sectors are defined by the spoke lines drawn from the Polar Sink to the edge of the board, not by the colored player dots.

Everything Jeremiah and the Doctor said is also correct, though.

The Fremen knowing where the storm goes is normally of very little importance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nunuyerbiznez
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to ask: why do people play with storm chits? To me, that is an important part of the game, that the last two combatants get to play storm kings, along with all the political and economic machinations pertaining thereto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Sure wrote:

Heresy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
...from where the Storm started...

As I recall, the Storm does not affect its starting sector -- only the ones it passes over or stops in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
zfairborn wrote:

As I recall, the Storm does not affect its starting sector -- only the ones it passes over or stops in.

Since nothing can enter or leave a storm affected sector (except Fremen troops @ half strength), that's a bit of a moot point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
rmanning wrote:
zfairborn wrote:

Since nothing can enter or leave a storm affected sector (except Fremen troops @ half strength), that's a bit of a moot point.

It's not entirely moot. It comes up every now and then that (for example) the storm is sitting over Arrakeen (with tokens safely huddled in the stronghold), and then someone blows the Shield Wall. When the storm moves next, are the tokens in Arrakeen destroyed or not? The answer is they are not, because the storm does not affect the starting sector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Not Sure wrote:

Heresy!

For what it's worth, I agree with Not Sure -- once in a while (couple times a game?) it might be of interest, and once every few games it may actually be of critical importance, but normally it's not exactly game changing information...

Same thing with the Atreides ability to look at the next spice card, but moreso. Sometimes when you know a Nexus is coming, it might be valuable info, but I've never yet found a real use for knowing where the next spice blow is going to appear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DnaDan56 wrote:
Just to ask: why do people play with storm chits? To me, that is an important part of the game, that the last two combatants get to play storm kings, along with all the political and economic machinations pertaining thereto.

Because it's a special power of the Fremen to know how far the storm is going to go next. (Can't remember for sure - is it an advanced or optional rule?) If you use the rule where the last two combatants dial the storm, the Fremen loses that ability. (And the generally need all the help they can get.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
Because it's a special power of the Fremen to know how far the storm is going to go next. (Can't remember for sure - is it an advanced or optional rule?) If you use the rule where the last two combatants dial the storm, the Fremen loses that ability. (And the generally need all the help they can get.)
Optional
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Not Sure wrote:

Heresy!

For what it's worth, I agree with Not Sure -- once in a while (couple times a game?) it might be of interest, and once every few games it may actually be of critical importance, but normally it's not exactly game changing information...

Same thing with the Atreides ability to look at the next spice card, but moreso. Sometimes when you know a Nexus is coming, it might be valuable info, but I've never yet found a real use for knowing where the next spice blow is going to appear...

You can usually sell that info for a little spice or other favours to someone else who might be much more interested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DnaDan56 wrote:

Even when we don't have the fremen, we still move the storm randomly by rolling a d6. Just because the fremen aren't around doesn't mean someone should be able influence the storm--heck, the fremen can't influence the storm either, they just get prior knowledge. I think it's important that the storm remain an unknown quantity.
tempus42 wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
rmanning wrote:
zfairborn wrote:

It's not entirely moot. It comes up every now and then that (for example) the storm is sitting over Arrakeen (with tokens safely huddled in the stronghold), and then someone blows the Shield Wall. When the storm moves next, are the tokens in Arrakeen destroyed or not? The answer is they are not, because the storm does not affect the starting sector.

Also, sometimes a spice blow occurs under the storm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.