Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Why was this entry changed from Carrom to American Carrom? I think that most of the users treated this as the traditional Indian Carrom. 90% of the images prove that - the boards are traditional, no larger holes, smaller pieces. What was the reason this had to be changed?

Really, if there is need to have American Carrom on BGG then it should get a new entry not take over the old one.

e: And I guess that there is no other way to transfer my 132 plays from here to the real Carrom other than manually?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Agreed. Can we please exterminate the other, or else make this one what it always was (Carrom), and make "American Carrom" the new and barren one?

The board I bought from a Canadian-Indian store, that I've now got listed as "American Carrom", has never been on American soil, and was not made by the American Carrom design dimensions. The article I made about Carrom being played in the movie Slumdog Millionaire, I assure you, was NOT about AMERICAN Carrom. Frankly, I find it rather insulting that the assumption is that all Carrom discussion to date has been about "American Carrom" and not about the genuine article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Another agree. This entry should be Carrom. If American Carrom is needed, that should be the new (and initially empty) one.

My few playings of the game and the game I own is CARROM and most assuredly not American Carrom. More troubling - no notice of this change (potential or otherwise) was sent out that I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I think it's great that BGG is now distinguishing between real Carrom and the American version, but as other have said this is a huge error in crediting all the history to American Carrom.

What's the normal procedure when games are split? If the admins need help deciding what content should go with which game, I'd be happy to help.

It'd also be nice if BGG sent out a geekmail to everybody who has rated or played or otherwise recorded information about Carrom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Hunting through some archives I determined that Scott Reed (skelebone) is responsible for game splits. I've geekmailed him asking if there's a plan to sort this out and volunteering to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggested the split to Scott, and he suggested that we take this approach. Scott will be going through and splitting out the images and threads that apply specifically to one version or the other. I suggest that we use this thread to comment on any additions or opinions in regard to the split.

It would be good if there was some form of notification system for those who had rated the game. At the least I think it is a good thing that the split has been made!

If Scot wants, it may be easier, as people have suggested above, to make the 'new' Carrom entry 'American Carrom', as there is less material to split into that entry...

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
caradoc wrote:
If Scot wants, it may be easier, as people have suggested above, to make the 'new' Carrom entry 'American Carrom', as there is less material to split into that entry...

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
It would definitely have more sense as there are max 10 images of American Carrom (and there is over 100 images overall) and I guess that no more than 5 threads regarding it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's how this is going to go. I've named gameid=66896 American Carrom and returned gameid=5072 to carrom. I'm going to work with some people to move the images, threads, and other relevant material to American Carrom while keeping the material relevant to Carrom in the original entry.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I set these wheels in motion but then had to care after a sick wife and didn't get the right things where they should be.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Scott,

Thanks for attending to this (minor) issue while real life swirls around us all. I do appreciate that you have gone back and kept this game as CARROM and split out American Carrom as the new entry.

thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you for changing this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse my ignorance.....

What is the difference between the two?

I have heard about this game and pondered buying it and I never knew there were two versions.

Are the differences significant?

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Thunder wrote:

From the description box of either's games entry:

American Carrom is a derivative game attributed to American Sunday school teacher Henry Haskell. American Carrom differs from Carrom in the board construction, particularly the size of the board and the size of the pockets. American Carrom is often played with a cue, and the board is patterned with checkers, chess or other board motifs, allowing a variety of other games to be played. Many American Carrom boards also double as Crokinole boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Thunder wrote:

From the description box of either's games entry:

American Carrom is a derivative game attributed to American Sunday school teacher Henry Haskell. American Carrom differs from Carrom in the board construction, particularly the size of the board and the size of the pockets. American Carrom is often played with a cue, and the board is patterned with checkers, chess or other board motifs, allowing a variety of other games to be played. Many American Carrom boards also double as Crokinole boards.

And while these differencesmay not seem alot, the smaller pockets, combined with the larger board and pieces in Indian Carrom make it a much more skillful game!

Just my opinion!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai Cernavin
Germany
Wonsheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mb
What about the ratings?

Any way to split these, or maybe clear them and have people rate again?

I guess the ratings for Carrom without the American version would be quite a bit higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.