Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As usual, a very good, concise review on your part, Tom. I agree, it's a very fun and replayable game. My only gripes with the game (and they're minor) are that it plays a bit long for what it is (and I think that's attributable to the fact that there are SO many things that a player can do, that it's susceptable to analysis paralysis) and that the bits that they give you for money are so incredibly small.

Aside from those two minor gripes, I think the game's a winner.

I think your review was spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using mini-poker chips for money, it took half hour off the game time. Those tiny coins are not very usable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review...although you only had a size 6 ship...not a size 7...

I enjoyed this game very much the one time I played it, but I don't know how often I'll get to play it as my game group doesn't seem to care for economic type games very much...but in the one time I played it, I must say I disagree with you about having enough money...I never felt I had enough to do what I wanted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we brought out the poker chips immediately as well.

I don't find AP too much a factor, because half your choices are blocked each turn, and your options amongst the four you do have are often limited (IE, if you take the green rondel, you might only be able to afford the item currently pointed at, or one spot away. Thus, that option is two things to consider buying, not four).

I do find a factor in the length is the adjustments you continually do. Buy ship parts, slide all the ship pieces down, refill from the stacks. Buy a Canal, slide and refill, buy a train, slide and refill... If you're the sort of person that doesn't like a "fiddly" game, that will affect your enjoyment of this.

Personally, I love it. It's very tactile, almost toy like as you build ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Johnson
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom - all us Navy guys cringe when you say the "front and back of the ship". Not to mention calling a chart a map!

Just Kidding - super job shipmate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a heart attack when he dumped all those pieces out on the table, so close to the edge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered. Arrived last week. Waiting for the chance to play it. Thanks for the great review, Tom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.