BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Pain, no Trains and Automobiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boardgamegal
Australia
flag msg tools
mb

Jerry and I were ready. George and Kramer finally arrived and I was looking forward to another chance to rewrite history and avoid that assassination. I even had Wallenstein out on the table, but there was a delay: a birthday to acknowledge. Its funny how a simple and pleasant thing like taking the time out to mark the passing of another year changes the course of the evening. It gave Peterman a chance to show up, armed of course, with all the games that he wanted to play. So out it came: Automobile. A quick game he claimed, only four rounds: no trains and its perfect for five. Well it looked good, but good looks don't always equate to a good time, and so we found out. With very little interaction between players, the game plods along at the same pace as all those automobiles depicted in the game. I didn't learn anything about the history of the automobile or the "generals" of the car industry responsible for creating them as I had hoped, and which the colourful board suggested I might. The theme was irrelevant to the game, it could have been about anything. It is one of those games which require calculation and more calculation (not the sneaky kind, just the mathematic kind). Oh, and it also required 2 and a half hours for those four little rounds. Highlights? Well, there was one. It was amusing when Jerry swamped his factories with cars, only to find that he couldn't pay for them and one by one they were removed from the board. And the pain? We all found out about that in Round Four when our cars had no market and the inefficiencies just kept coming. At least we know how the American car giants feel as many of them find themselves in just that same situation today. I am told that Mr. Wallace decided to make this game after seeing pictures of these automobiles in a National Geographic magazine. Will somebody please cancel his subscription?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Automobile is a Eurogame for people who like calculations. There's indirect player interaction and it can take long, so probably it was not the right game for your group at the time.

Since you mentioned Wallenstein i suppose that you like heavier eurogames, so i suggest to give Automobile one more try but make sure that you have plenty of uninterrupted time to finish it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgamegal
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
There are so many exciting games out there its hard to get the time to play as many as you would like. So while I wouldn't say no to another go, I'd probably prefer to play something like Wallenstein or Power Grid or Heads of State or the old version of Vinci.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babak Hadi
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found the game too mathematical. I would play it again but not one of my favourits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.