Jon Wooden
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday 27th January, 2010
Venue: The London Apprentice, Isleworth

Jon had been primed by Gareth that he was bringing this game, so took the opportunity to give the rules a good scan prior to coming out, and then proceeded to try and explain it to everyone else. This is basically a souped-up version of Perudo, but with more interaction and potential for back-stabbing! devil

The first round of ‘boasts’ (as the rule-book describes the bids) was a little tentative, as players were unsure what would be an achievable amount to bid. However, as soon as it was Barrie’s turn, he had no hesitation in declaring “Doomed” in a loud voice. This made James the hunt leader, and a few minutes were then spent discussing who would be able to contribute to the hunt and whether it was feasible (7 birds in 2 days). There were a number of positive voices (most notably Gareth and Emma) but when it came down to it, everybody else chickened out apart from Jon. Unfortunately, he could only offer moral support for the hunt, as his hand was actually devoid of birds. Unsurprisingly, the hunt was indeed doomed.

The second round began with slightly more confident boasting, but again it was Doomsayer Barrie who decided that the hunters wouldn’t succeed. And it didn’t.

In the third round, Jon tried valiantly to whip up some support for the “5 deer in 3 days” hunt, declaring that he had 4 deer in his hand (when he only in fact had 3). Barrie and Tonio decided to join him, but could only muster a single deer between them, with no more being revealed during the hunt. This minor deviation from the whole truth led to Jon being identified as someone not to be trusted, and his subsequent declaration that he had 4 fish in his hand was met with disparaging incredulity (OK – he was telling a bit of a fib that time. shake )

Philip and David had to leave the game at this point, but the remainder of the team ploughed on. 2 more successful hunts now occurred, with the gallant hunters sharing a large pile of dead animals.

By the time that the final hunt was being organised, Barrie, Gareth and Emma were all way in the lead, whilst Jon, Tonio and James had only a handful of points between them. During this round of boasting, Jon decided to declare the hunt ‘doomed’, making Emma the hunt leader. This hunt only needed to collect 4 fish in 4 days, and everyone apart from Jon decided to join in such a simple outing. All the hunters played 3 cards to increase their share of the winnings, and as they were turned over, a veritable shoal of fish was revealed.

The excited hunters cheered vociferously laugh and mocked Jon’s absence from the hunt, as the final 4 cards were dealt from the deck. The climax had arrived; the final card was flipped; and there, glowing like a beacon of hope in a dark world, was the glorious figure of a Nanuk (the polar bear), dooming the hunt, and giving Jon the entire spoils to keep to himself. A camera at this point would have captured some priceless expressions……

All that was left to do was to tot up the points, and reveal that this final Smorgasbord of arctic delicacies had been enough to propel Jon from last to first in a single bound.

Jon 17; Barrie 13; Emma 12; Gareth 10; James 4; Tonio 3

To read more reports from the IBG'ers, check out our blog - http://isleworthboardgamers.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goadrich
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon, congrats on the win from behind! Your report really captures the hunting experience and spirit of the game that we saw in playtesting, I'm glad to see it work for your group, thanks for posting your session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPM
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your review makes me want this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I think my group would like this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Lesavoy
United States
West Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, this review makes this game sound really fun. Plus it sounds like a good game to get going with a group of moderate to heavy drinkers to just increase the enthusiasm of the hunting and dooming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Schoonover
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AesopDoom wrote:
I agree, this review makes this game sound really fun. Plus it sounds like a good game to get going with a group of moderate to heavy drinkers to just increase the enthusiasm of the hunting and dooming.

It was playtested with moderate drinking at least once, and it definitely made a few players more enthusiastic. I think one of the more inebriated players ended up winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Graham
United States
Carmichael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you - a very entertaining review. I've been looking for a fun game for family get-togethers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.