BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Chess Board + Traditional Playing Cards + Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

Has anyone ever designed a set of boardgame rules that makes use of a chess board, traditional playing cards and some dice? I think with these three together plus some creativity, it is possible to whip up a decent 2-player wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Broh-Kahn
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought. Chess Variants, of which there are a zillion, usually suck. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
jabanico wrote:
Hi.

Has anyone ever designed a set of boardgame rules that makes use of a chess board, traditional playing cards and some dice? I think with these three together plus some creativity, it is possible to whip up a decent 2-player wargame.

My brother and I used a chess board and lego pieces to make gladiator games.

Table Gype uses a modified chess/checker board and dice.

Knightmare Chess uses Chess + Cards

However, using the components you describe, it sounds like the game would be better listed as a variant or print & play (rules, at least).

And then there's this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Daribuck1 wrote:
Just a thought. Chess Variants, of which there are a zillion, usually suck. zombie

Rubbish. There are tons of good ones in the The Classified Encyclopedia of Chess Variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipco Chess is an mix of chess and miniatures rules. The basic rules allow pieces to capture one another only if they can win a die roll.

Chipco wrote:
After one side declares a combat move, both sides roll a d10. Attacking Pawns add one to their roll for an attack bonus; attacking major Pieces add two. Each side also adds one to their die roll for any other friendly piece that can reach the target square in one combat move (this is called 'support').

There are additional "period" variants (Ancient, Medieval, Samurai, American Civil War) which modify these rules. For example, from the ACW section, pawns are infantry, knights are cavalry or mortars, rooks are artillery, plus there are other specialized effects:

Chipco wrote:
Bishops. Point Value 3. CF [combat factor] 3. Bishops are the infiltrators, spies , or raiders of the army. If the White Bishop does not move or combat move during its turn, it adds one to the combat roll of its side's attacking combat roll (anywhere on the board). If the Black Bishop is not being attacked during its opponents turn, it subtracts one from its opponent's attacking combat roll (anywhere on the board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One game to look at is Manoeuvre. Like chess, it is played on an 8x8 grid, some of which is open terrain and others which are hills, towns, or woods. Each army is composed of 8 units. Units typically do not require cards or dice to move, but do require the proper card to attack or defend, and die rolls are used to modify the intrinsic factors of the units and the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Well, there are no rules but I immediately think of Double Cranko a made up game from the TV show M*A*S*H. One of the quoted rules: "A bishop is worth three jacks." Of course the actual rules are mostly the precursor to Calvinball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To run with OP's idea, I suppose you could replace the chess pieces with various polyhedral dice (d4 for pawns, d6 for knights, d8 for bishops, d10 for rooks, and d20 for both queen and king) without changing the individual movement mechanics of the pieces. this would add a element of randomness by requiring that both players roll the respective die when the pieces "battle". For instance: White's knight attempts to take Black's rook. Each player rolls the respective piece/die and whoever's scores higher wins the "combat". To prevent this becoming a dice-ridden luckfest, you could set the cards in opposition to the random elements. IE: This card give +3 in any combat. Play at any time. I'd say this might be a little tame as a 2 player game, but played on a 4-player chessboard, this may very well kick ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm looking for a particular chess variant with the following mechanics (which make it operate like a wargame):

1. chess pieces are used as army tokens and move differently (perhaps one square per turn), and not all of the chess pieces are on the board
2. each chess piece "carries" an army represented by cards
3. card values represent their strengths and will be the main basis for determining who wins in an attack.

I'll go through the various variant sites if I see anything like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Neeff
United States
Rock Springs
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Besides a chess board, cards, and dice, you should add a twister pad and nerf guns. BEST.GAME.EVER.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hayter

Metuchen
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let the negative comments get you down. This is precisely the way a lot of games get designed, by starting with commonly available materials. Along the way to make it something more marketable there must be a transition to custom parts but for a free game there is no need to make that step.

The materials you suggest seem like they would lend themselves rather well to making a Commands & Colors type board wargame. Give the chess pieces different movement and attack rules, use the cards to order troops and the dice to resolve combat. Once you have a workable system you might want to add a theme to it and start customizing some of the equipment, or you could leave it just as it is. Good luck with your design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on a command/control system for this sort of thing? I guess CC ANcients and Battle Cry et al set the current standard for this sort of thing but it feels to me like you are sort of at the mercy of the cards. Does anyone have any thoughts on command/control for a system like the one under discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finney
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose the thing to do would be to divide the board up by suit: Spades:Left flank(AB) Hearts:left-centre(CD) Diamonds:right-centre(EF) Clubs:right flank(GH).
Conceivably you could link the cards A to 8 to the ranks 1 to 8 on the board (I have a feeling that may be constricting movement too far however.)

You Could either strip 9 to K out of the deck or use them for some other effect. (Dice modifiers?)

Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hayter

Metuchen
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possibility would be to have each suit linked to a different unit type like:

Light Infantry - club
Heavy Infantry - spade
Light Cavalry - heart
Heavy Cavalry - diamond

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.