Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Immediately after our game of Verrater we launched into a six player game of Mu. I know that Mu is a highly regarded example of the trick-taking genre. It had been a while since I had last played and was eager to play with a full compliment of players.

After an overly lengthy explanation of the rules from yours truly we began. Jason bid agressively to become the chief in the first round. Weng was the vice. He chose seven's as the little trump and Jason chose four's. He then proceded to take every trick except one. It was a very good thing I managed to persuade him (with careful manipulation during the auction) to be my partner!!

During later rounds the chief's team was foiled quite often. Weng made a very agressive six card bid and wasn't able to win a single triangle!! I even witnessed my first stalemate during the game. Mike M. kept pushing the envelope but then decided he couldn't quite do it. So he decided to fold rather than giving everyone more points.

Mu definitely has a steep learning curve. Even trick-taking veterans need to carefully negotiate the auction. Everyone needs to ensure the chief's team doesn't score big bonuses as this can prematurely end the game. I love this genre and would be quite happy playing these type of games on a regular basis. Also, I can't wait to someday learn real bridge ( I have played Bridgette, though).

Thanks to another partnership I was able to end the game with a win. Jason came in second; I am not sure who placed third through sixth. The game seemed to be well rec'd by all and I am glad I brought it out!

As an aside, I have often wondered what kind of success I would have bringing Mu to the local Bridge club. I am sure I could convince a few veterans to give it a whirl. Maybe if I taught them a game like Mu they could teach me the basics of Bridge. I have even been told that our local Bridge club has some world class players. Has anyone out there tried this before? Please let me know what happened...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.