Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Giles
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a light multiplayer game, and, other than the price tag, I find Galaxy Truckers rather appealing. I find the rules easy to grasp, but I've been gaming for some time.
So, my question is, could Galaxy Truckers be a gateway game(i.e. light, easy mechanics)? If not, how heavy are the mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brokenimage321 wrote:
I'm looking for a light multiplayer game, and, other than the price tag, I find Galaxy Truckers rather appealing. I find the rules easy to grasp, but I've been gaming for some time.
So, my question is, could Galaxy Truckers be a gateway game(i.e. light, easy mechanics)? If not, how heavy are the mechanics?

I don't know if I understand the question correctly. I don't think the most important attributes of a "gateway game" are whether it is easy to learn and play. I think the most important question is whether it is fun for people who don't play a lot of games and appealing to a broad range of people. If that is what you are asking, then I am not sure that Galsxy Trucker is a good game in that regard, because some people really don't find it much fun, because it can be frustrating to play if you don't like running out of time and having your ship destroyed by random events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker is easy to learn... light on the mechanics.

You can also purchase the Big Expansion if you'd like to make the experience a little 'rougher'... good stuff for veterans of the game that need a bigger challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it can be a decent gateway as long as you over-emphasize the fact that the first time through may be a bit rough and that ships can and do get destroyed. Experienced players playing with newbies are also going to have a distinct advantage since they know what to look for...which can discourage any newbies as well...that's where it can be nice to have some additional parts of the Big Expansion to handicap the experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
brokenimage321 wrote:

When I was taught Galaxy Trucker the experienced players gave the 2 less experienced players 5 min to build their ships before starting to build their ships and thus evened out some of the time pressure a new person might find frustrating when learning.

Even with that advantage for the first 3 games it was hard to build a good ship that worked as well as theirs.

However both of us newbies totally loved the game even though we got trounced. (Of course we are gamers not non-gamers to begin with)

But it has a great theme and a fun randomness. So I think as long as you give them a chance to come up to speed without feeling majorly overwhelmed and frustrated it could go over well as a gateway game for some people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach this game, I say it is a two part game. Part one involves building your ship. Part two involves watching your new ship get the crap stomped out of it.

As long as you keep it fun, and let people know in advance their ship will get beat to a pulp, this is an excellent Gateway in my book, and one of my all time favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.