Hide
5 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Card Type: Community rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chilz C
msg tools
I thought of a new card type that is like a more generalized version of the council room. The idea is to make strong cards at a low price with the tradeoff being that they help other players as well.

New Card Type:
Community
When played, it stays out in front of you until the start of your next turn, at which time it gets put in your discard pile.
All players gain the "Community Effect" listed on the Community card when it is out in front of a player. For effects like drawing cards, the community effect takes place at the start of a players turn, unless they are the player who played it, in which case it takes place when played. If throne roomed, it will work like durations in that the Throne Room stays out and the card action and community effects are doubled.

Sample Cards:

Name: Money
Type: Action - Community
Cost: 4
Action: +1 Action, +2 Coin
Community Effect: +1 Coin

So when this card is played, the player who played it gets +1 Action and +3 Coins. All other players will get +1 coin to spend during their turn.
Note: The player who played the card only gets the Community effect once.

Name: Pawn Shop
Cost: 4
Action: +1 Action, +1 Card, +1 Coin
Community Effect: Choose two: +1 Action, +1 Card, +1 Coin, +1 Buy

Name: Recycle
Cost: 2
Action: +1 Action, May trash up to two cards
Community Effect: +1 Coin for each card trashed this turn

Name: Peace
Cost: 2
Action +1 Action, +1 Card
Community Effect: Attacks have no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These cards look interesting, my main criticism is that there needs to be enough incentive for people to actually buy them. Also, it would probably be too much having many of these in one game.

There are those who think this is the sort of thing we could be getting in dominion: prosperity towards the end of this year. It'll be interesting to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawn Shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
A big problem I can see is that there are going to be major balance issues - not only regarding making the Community cards worth buying but also in making sure the order in which they are played does not absurdly swing the game.

For example, if I and my opponent both open buying Recycle, then the order in which we draw and play them will swing the game vastly - we will both trash the same number of cards, but one of us will benefit only from his own Recycle, netting a total of 4 Coin for that turn's buy, while the other will benefit from both Recycles, netting a total of 6 Coin for that turn's buy. In a two-player game, the probability of this disparity emerging on the first run through the deck is almost 60%, and as the number of players buying Recycle increases with larger games (Recycle, being a strong trasher, would doubtlessly be an attractive early-game buy), the probability of such a 4-buy-for-thou-but-Gold-for-me random swing increases drastically. This swing is far more significant, and far more likely to emerge, than random swings in other games.

(Meanwhile, Peace is absurdly weak, since it is essentially a Lighthouse that costs more and provides no Coin and protects your opponents as well as yourself - inferior in every way.)

It's an interesting idea, but it seems difficult to make the cards usable yet balanced. So far, one card - Council Room - seems to have a similar effect, being a Smithy plus a Buy plus a Community effect of +1 Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chilz C
msg tools
I don't see the balance issues caused by these cards being worse than current ones, in fact, its more like the reverse of the current balance issues. Currently, going first is an advantage when attacking to the point that some cards aren't worth buying if your are late in turn order. For example, if everyone in a four player game buys a militia during their first two turns, and all players have them in hand on their third turn, then chances are the first player will be able to buy gold, and the rest will not. Recycle would cause the opposite to happen, where going last would get an advantage. Either way, noone is forcing the first player to buy one.

As for Peace, I agree it was weaker than lighthouse , I made it cheaper and added +1 Card to it, but it is worth mentioning that there are cases where preventing attacks from hitting your opponents can be benificial to you (Swindler w/ no curses left, militia/tourturer w/ librarys in play, ghost ship w/ treasure maps in play, ambassador to keep supply piles from running out, ect.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.