Hide
11 Posts

Wings of War: Famous Aces» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is there a reason... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vardon Vardon
msg tools
First of all, I am a newbie and just wanted to say that my family are really enjoying the Wings of War WWI series games. I'm desperately awaiting the release of the RAF SE 5a miniature!

I do have a question though - why is the length of the ruler such a weird length, about 19.4 cm? It doesn't translate into anything in inches either and I can't work out if there is any sensible scaling reason for this odd length - I mean why not just make it an even 20cm?

Anyone have an explanation for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reason is that it fits in the box just about perfectly at that length. The box is probably 20cm when closed.

Of course, that's just a guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
I think the reason is that it fits in the box just about perfectly at that length. The box is probably 20cm when closed.

Of course, that's just a guess.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For future editions, it may be a good idea to print a scale on the back of the ruler, because some scenario information is given in centimeters instead of ruler lengths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most scenario information would be many ruler lengths and they are just figuring most people have a tape measure or something marked in centimeters.

Even for non-metric Americans, we can conjure roughly 2.5 cm to the inch and work it out. A scenario layout only really needs to be an approximation, anyway.

But back to the original post-- I think "because it fits the box size" is the exactly correct answer.

Lots of game production things happen for tangible--if unexciting' reasons. I recall reading that the card size was dictated by Italian law-- that the smaller size avoids some sort of significant 'tax' on gambling sized cards, or that this size is classed as "toy" but larger classed a different way. At first I found the smaller size disappointing and irritating, but when actually putting them to use on a table, I'm glad they are not regular playing card size (as this would require a much larger flying space.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vardon Vardon
msg tools
Thanks for the responses... and there I was thinking that maybe there was some super accurate scale representation of an average machine gun from WWI!

Actually if you measure the two halves of the ruler carefully, you will realise that the two halves are NOT symmetrical, one half is a few mm longer than the other! Does lead me to suspect that it was originally designed to be 20cm.

Just out of curiosity, anyone worked out the "to scale" representation of the averaged range of an averaged machine gun that was mounted on the planes?

Great game though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

kduke wrote:
I recall reading that the card size was dictated by Italian law-- that the smaller size avoids some sort of significant 'tax' on gambling sized cards, or that this size is classed as "toy" but larger classed a different way. At first I found the smaller size disappointing and irritating, but when actually putting them to use on a table, I'm glad they are not regular playing card size (as this would require a much larger flying space.)

The explanation about the tax was to tell why small size cards were popular in Italy, especially for kids - but it referred to my youth, the "tassa di bollo" on cards being abolished in 1973 when the VAT was introduced.

Actually the reason why Nexus reduced the size of the produced card (our prototype had poker/bridge sized cards) is the one that makes you appreciate it: they said that in that way the average scenario could be easily played on the average dinner table of the average gamer. And I add that now you can play a 4 players dogfight even on a 70 x 70 cm pub table.

For the two alves being uneven, that is due to the inaccuracy of the print/cut on the cardboard that can be sometime out of center. Hopefully just slightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vardon Vardon
msg tools
Hi Andrea!

Thanks so much for replying personally. The few mm don't really matter anyway, nobody is that precise with the card movements and, especially children!

Out of curiosity, if box size was not a limitation what was your original and optimal length for the ruler? Knowing how precise you are in doing the research and developing the game, I imagine that you did have some idea as to what the optimal length for the ruler (and hence range) would have been without limitations of packaging.

I'm simply interested because of the many clever ways in which you have reduced very complex ideas into just a few cards. So, I am wondering what your ideas were for abstracting the range of so many different types of guns and their ranges and into one simple system.

Thanks for a game that is keeping my family entertained for hours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments!

The ruler has been fixed mainly on game considerations. The range of machineguns in games vary a lot - 700 meters in Aces High, 350 in Richthofen's War... And in several games is not even explicited. We do not have a precise time/distance scale. I always believed that most games overrated the range. I recall a note in Richthofen's diary about the Red Baron letting an enemy fire without answering at a lower distance (online I read 3000 meters http://www.pilotfriend.com/aeromed/medical/red_baron.htm but I am not sure) since it was impossible to anyone to hit so far. I recall that the Se5a convergence of the upper and lower MGs was set for a distance of 60 metetrs or so... Sorry for not being precise, but I have not my notes with me.

The ruler is fixed so that firing is neither too easy nor too difficult, and it is also made so that two planes going head on against the other have a chance to fire each other: it isa very difficult that they are too far from each other and after a straight they overlap, so they cross without firing. The relationship is then with movement distances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vardon Vardon
msg tools
Hi Andrea,

Thanks so much for the clarification. It is really good to meet a game designer who is actually interested in the people who play his games too. Is the series 4 WWI miniatures coming out soon? I really want that SE 5a!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, no idea of release time...

You player are making this game alive and in good health. So I am very interested in any of your comments and question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.