GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,525 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Expanding Scored Victories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Renaud
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, all.

Now that my group has become more experienced with Arkham Horror, I'd like to introduce the Scored Victories aspect of the game. However, with all but the Dark Pharaoh expansion, there are many parts of the game that aren't included, as well as some parts of the core game that could use some inclusion. I'd like to gather them up in one place and make sure I don't forget any. Thus, I'm asking for the help of the Geek in ensuring I don't miss anything and the arbitrary points are fitting.

GENERAL
-1 for each failed rumour
+1 for each passed rumour
-4 for victory due to final battle

DUNWICH
-1 if the Dunwich Horror is on the board at the end of the game
+1 for each time the Dunwich Horror is defeated
-1 for each retired investigator

KINGSPORT
-1 per open rift at the end of the game
+1 per closed rift at the end of the game
-1 for using Bast
-2 for using Nodens
-3 for using Hypnos

INNSMOUTH

KING IN YELLOW

BLACK GOAT OF THE WOODS
+2 for using a Herald

Some things I feel shouldn't be included, as they're meant to be tough choices already and scoring them would sway the decision, such as Acts. I realize that everything in the core method adds in increments of one, but I feel that some aspects of the game are worth more than others (most notably the presence of a final battle).

What do you feel should alter the score and by how much? For reference, the core game's scoring method can be found here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In all 6-7 games where I've played DH, he doesn't come out that much. It is entirely possible that he won't come out until the very end of the game and the investigators won't have time to kill him, or, more likely, if they're doing everything right and killing monsters before they go into vortices, the DH won't come out at all. I probably would give only -1 for DH on the board at end of game.

For Innsmouth you could score +1 for each time the Feds raid Innsmouth. Maybe -1 for each investigator turned deep one, although that is debatable, since there isn't much of a choice associated with it, like with retiring investigators. It would be like scoring -1 for a devoured investigator.

KiY is tough. The mechanisms are about hard choices - all of them bad - which mostly speed up the chance that the AO will awaken. With your scoring system, if it gets to that point, you already score -4. There shouldn't be any scoring for KiY imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danach81 wrote:
In all 6-7 games where I've played DH, he doesn't come out that much. It is entirely possible that he won't come out until the very end of the game and the investigators won't have time to kill him, or, more likely, if they're doing everything right and killing monsters before they go into vortices, the DH won't come out at all. I probably would give only -1 for DH on the board at end of game.

DH has come out 11 times (97 plays with DH in the mix, though I think the ratio when using the DH Herald is like 5 in 8) for me and has been fought twice. Both times the game was well in hand, the investigator attacking the DH had nothing better to do while waiting for the last seal to be slapped down. Even if the DH comes out, I prefer to ignore him and seal gates (and win). DH, like all monsters, is a distraction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Troberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
DH has come out 11 times (97 plays with DH in the mix, though I think the ratio when using the DH Herald is like 5 in 8)

97 plays? I suspect you have no other hobbies, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troberg wrote:

He's a true Arkham fan!
What's your point ?
This thread is about scoring, isn't it ?

I don't like scoring in AH as I don't think it shows anything about a session except a high score means an easy game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Renaud
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the support, guys. I see your point on the DH, Daniel, so I've adjusted it to -1.

Damien, I can definitely see why one would be against scoring, but getting consistently high scores can also mean it's time to add in more difficult options or face harder AOs. It can just be a tool to judge whether less crutches for the players should be included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troberg wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
DH has come out 11 times (97 plays with DH in the mix, though I think the ratio when using the DH Herald is like 5 in 8)

97 plays with DH, 104 of AH total (still 96 left in the current schedule, maybe get back into it in March). And that's a pretty mediocre number compared to some of the real geezers (mageith for one), at 200+ plays many months (years?) ago.

Also, AH is on average a 90-minute game, though I've never actually played more than one game of AH per day.

Finally, who needs other hobbies when you have gaming ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.