Subject: Lingering Patrol Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've gone through all the threads here and read the FAQ about patrol missions and I finally feel I'm playing them correctly.

The only question I have remaining is on patrol missions where the map doesn't change (patrols into the same area within a day or two of each other). Should the found cover markers be left behind, or removed after a completed patrol?

Just like with my illumination question, I can argue the reasoning behind both leaving the markers and removing them. Since it's the same terrain, I'd leave them because previous patrols could inform future patrols where to find the best cover/terrain etc. I can also argue for removing them because future patrols would have a hard time finding the same terrain in the middle of the night, so even if they were able to get close, they'd still need to expend effort to find the cover previous patrols came across.

Once again, thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
Well, I've gone through all the threads here and read the FAQ about patrol missions and I finally feel I'm playing them correctly.

The only question I have remaining is on patrol missions where the map doesn't change (patrols into the same area within a day or two of each other). Should the found cover markers be left behind, or removed after a completed patrol?

Just like with my illumination question, I can argue the reasoning behind both leaving the markers and removing them. Since it's the same terrain, I'd leave them because previous patrols could inform future patrols where to find the best cover/terrain etc. I can also argue for removing them because future patrols would have a hard time finding the same terrain in the middle of the night, so even if they were able to get close, they'd still need to expend effort to find the cover previous patrols came across.

Once again, thanks in advance!
It's OK to leave them. I left mine when I played patrols.
Because each patrol has to occupy a different Objective, they usually have to go another route anyway, so crossing the previous terrain usually doesn't happen.....at least not in the games I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Quintero
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Robert, I believe the ruling was to leave them. Personally on my last patrol mission I removed them, for the exact reason you state. Normandy second Patrols is my next mission. I plan to remove all cover except for urban between each squads patrol. I play the way the makes me happy on these small details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quin wrote:
...I play the way the makes me happy on these small details.

lol... love that line...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaboo wrote:
Quin wrote:

lol... love that line...

Yes, that's what I do to... It's a solo game after all, and as long as you don't find yourself cheating, it helps to make small decisions and move on, rather than stop playing because you cannot figure out how to interpret a rule in a give circumstance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,

On the cover markers, either way should work. When I did my Mission 3 Combat Patrols, I removed them between patrols, reasoning that, as it is night (and you don't how well intel was communicated to subsequent patrols), you would likely have to "discover" the cover all over again. Same goes for Mines! (which could be removed). If you want to make it random, you could do a Action Card draw to see which cover/Mines! remain and which are removed. After all, this is a solitaire game, so varying the Rules (within reason) should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - I do likewise... part of the fun in a way... and also helps build narrative.

teufen wrote:
Yaboo wrote:
Quin wrote:

lol... love that line...

Yes, that's what I do to... It's a solo game after all, and as long as you don't find yourself cheating, it helps to make small decisions and move on, rather than stop playing because you cannot figure out how to interpret a rule in a give circumstance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.