United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone on here gotten a table as a vendor at Gencon, Essen, Origins, PAX, etc?

Any thoughts, tips, cost information?

I've gone to trade shows (ToyFair) and exhibited at many homeschool conventions with my books, but now that I have games, I'm curious about the gaming convention scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the bigger ones you might end up having to pay a pretty penny for space. My suggestion is look for any other vendors looking to break into the convention scene. You could split a space and share the cost for the same amount of exposure.

I know Gorilla Games has done this when going to GenCon. They pick vendors who have products that compliment or are similar in theme to their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You can find rates for booth space on the web sites for Gen Con and Origins I think. I believe Gen Con is around $16 per square foot, and that doesn't include table and chair rentals or carpeting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I've never exhibited, but info on Essen is here:

http://www.merz-verlag.com/spiel/e023.php4

Executive summary: small booths @ €537, book by May 15th. Show is 21-24 Oct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Astinex wrote:
For the bigger ones you might end up having to pay a pretty penny for space. My suggestion is look for any other vendors looking to break into the convention scene. You could split a space and share the cost for the same amount of exposure.

I know Gorilla Games has done this when going to GenCon. They pick vendors who have products that compliment or are similar in theme to their games.

If I'm not mistaken, Paizo had a booth in the the past that combined a few of the smaller American game companies (Cheapass Games and Steve Jackson Games), so I don't think it's that uncommon. I'm not so sure you need to find a company with complementary games if you theme half a booth/table with one company's products and half with the other. I've seen plenty of vendors sharing space and it didn't seem to be disruptive to either half, though it does make it likely that extra badges would need to be purchased to cover any extra staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
historyguy71 wrote:

You can find rates for booth space on the web sites for Gen Con and Origins I think. I believe Gen Con is around $16 per square foot, and that doesn't include table and chair rentals or carpeting.

10x10 space @ $16 per square foot I see. Not too bad. An extra $250 if you're sharing the table with someone else.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.