Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised I didn't find a thread on this....

...I'm intrigued by the possibility of a Wallace game that's playable as a 2er. Just wondering people's thoughts are regarding that.

-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the general responses leans negative. There seems to be a runaway king problem with two players. Once one player gets a lead, it is very hard to catch up. However, I have yet to try it.... so I could not tell you from experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own it, and my wife and I play it with two quite often. The runaway leader problem is real, so you'll need to be fairly evenly matched.

The bigger issue (at least for me) is that 2-player RoE makes playing the board (area majority) the overwhelming focus of the game. It's not a bad thing, but it's not why I got the game. It becomes essentially a wargame with some economic engine elements.

Even adding a single player alters this and brings the game into greater balance. I'd suspect that my ideal game would be in the 4-5 player range (provided no AP; the game is 2.5 hours with 2!).

Long story short: it's better with 2 than, say, Power Grid. I quite enjoy the game when I'm in the mood. Just be prepared for a game that feels more like a gritty, lengthy version of Small World than an all-encompassing Civ/Empire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben McJ said it. I agree 100% with him. I can see myself playing this game with 2 again, but I would prefer to play it with someone of equal skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input !

-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
Just be prepared for a game that feels more like a gritty, lengthy version of Small World than an all-encompassing Civ/Empire game.

Sounds ideal to me!

I own this and will get a lot of play out of 2 - more than with higher numbers of players. Oh, and if you are looking for another Wallace game that works fine with 2, try Steam, but with some of the boxed map blocked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dano themano
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
is this game viable with 2 players if each players plays 2 making it a 4 player game example is ...

me and my brother often play age of empires3 the age of discovery and since it isnt the best with 2 players we each play 2 players making it a 4 player game were we dont really go to war with our own 2 teams but helps take up more board places and what not.
now of coarse this isnt as good as 4 individual players but we feel it helps just wondering if can be the case in Rise of empires.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDukke wrote:
is this game viable with 2 players if each players plays 2 making it a 4 player game example is ...

If you enjoy playing AoE3 this way, I see no problem playing RoE this way too. We sometimes play El Grande 2X2 and although it's not like a real 4-player game, it scratches the itch somewhat. Give it a try and let us know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave cope
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
fardoche wrote:
TheDukke wrote:

If you enjoy playing AoE3 this way, I see no problem playing RoE this way too. We sometimes play El Grande 2X2 and although it's not like a real 4-player game, it scratches the itch somewhat. Give it a try and let us know!

Me and Dano have played this 2 player and 4 player (2allied teams each), and its still all about population and controlling the map. Really want to play a true 4-5 player game to see if theres any other viable ways to keep in VP without controlling alot of map area. so far all of our games have had one run away winner ( the one controlling most of the map) with dano up 2-1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.