8 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: PDS vs new ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Goh
New Zealand
flag msg tools
considering how PDS can fire for just about any nearby ship movements, can they fire on ships when they are being built in a neighbouring system (with deep space cannon of course). I don't mean activating the system to fire on them, i mean when that player has just activated his system to build the ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rintoul
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gohte833 wrote:
considering how PDS can fire for just about any nearby ship movements, can they fire on ships when they are being built in a neighbouring system (with deep space cannon of course). I don't mean activating the system to fire on them, i mean when that player has just activated his system to build the ships.

No they can't fire on the newly built ships.

If you look at the sequence of an individual players turn on the race sheet, Building is the last thing that happens. I believe PDS fire happens well before this. After the activation of the system and after all ships have moved in (if any) but before the space battle (if any).

I'm sure someone else may be able to explain it better than that.

Regards

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Jameson
msg tools
mb
Steps of a Tactical Action:

1. Activate System
2. Move ships into the system
3. PDS Fire; if your opponent does not fire his PDS at this time, he is forfeiting his chance for this activation.
4. Space Battles
5. Planetary Landings
6. Production; these ships are therefore safe from the PDS in step 3.

Pretty much the same thing Andrew said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Lee Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big A wrote:

If you look at the sequence of an individual players turn on the race sheet, Building is the last thing that happens. I believe PDS fire happens well before this. After the activation of the system and after all ships have moved in (if any) but before the space battle (if any).

No, I'd say that's a pretty good explanation. But to help make it more visual:

THE ACTIVATION SEQUENCE
1) Activate a system
2) Move ships into the system
3) PDS fire
4) Space Battle
5) Planetary Landings
6) Invasion Combat
7) Produce Units

(list taken from page 10 of the rule book)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Jameson
msg tools
mb
foxx wrote:
Big A wrote:

No, I'd say that's a pretty good explanation. But to help make it more visual:

THE ACTIVATION SEQUENCE
1) Activate a system
2) Move ships into the system
3) PDS fire
4) Space Battle
5) Planetary Landings
6) Invasion Combat
7) Produce Units

(list taken from page 10 of the rule book)

Oops, I forgot the Invasion Combat in my list (actually, I didn't forget it, but I thought it was part of Planetary Landings step).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Lee Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RJJ7 wrote:
Oops, I forgot the Invasion Combat in my list (actually, I didn't forget it, but I thought it was part of Planetary Landings step).
Yep, it's separate. Apparently if there are no enemies present, it's not technically an invasion.

An interesting note: both the section for "Invasion Combat" and the one for "Produce Units" are listed as step 6 in the rule book. (page 12)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Goh
New Zealand
flag msg tools
oh, completely forgot about the whole activation sequence thing. thanks for the quick response guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not 100% related to the OP

Also keep in mind, when not your turn, that if there are 2 enemy fleets in an adjacent system you can only shoot at the player who activated that system.

If you activate the system you can shoot at the one enemy who is currently there even without moving ships.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.