Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gordon
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim and I had quite a look over the rules and together played through the tutorial. I think we are ready for our first game. We will play over a few evenings; this session report will be added to after each occasion. I am writing from the CP perspective and any comments from experienced Paths of Glory players are most welcome.

Turns 1-3 Aug - Fall 1914 (played 01 Feb 10).

I opened the game with the Guns of August and beat up the French army in Sedan. Promptly the British SR’ed a regular corps and the BEF corps to Brussels to bolster the existing defence there.
[Is it legal to have the BEF Army and corps together on the board? It didn’t seem right but I couldn’t see anything in the rules against this].
Moltke was played but followed immediately by Falkenhayn. This quickly brought me to Limited war status. Persistent attacks finally took Brussels and saw the demise of the BEF. Thanks to Landwehr replacements and the new German 10th and 12th armies’ reasonable forces were able to enter northern France.
1st and 2nd army British reinforcements were organized and the Rape of Belgium occurred which also brought the AP to limited war. They began entrenchments and were quickly successful in Calais, Amiens and Nancy. I entrenched in Sedan, things are starting to bog down.
Only one attack on Verdun so far, the French need to be put under more pressure. However I have put more attention than the AP onto replacements, my forces are at full strength and ready for another big push.

Photo: Western front end of turn 3

Meanwhile in the east the Russians rolled into Czernowitz, Tarnapol and Lemburg without too much trouble. AH replacements managed to rebuild lost armies in Budapest and send them back to the front. The Russians besieged and took Przemysl and organized the 9th and 10th armies as reinforcements. Every CP mandatory offensive so far in the game has fallen to AH - some political pressure! Some relief for the Austro-Hungarians came in the form of the German 8th army which besieged and took Ivangorod despite losses. The German - Russian border however is wide open except for a string of forts.
Turkey has joined the war although there is no activity. I feel CP progress is satisfactorily so far.

Photo: Eastern front end of turn 3

Turns 4-6 Winter 1914 - Summer 1915 (played 05 Feb 10)

Just into winter and the AP declared a blockade on the CP. In the west with the front solidifying I attempted to pressure the French which was somewhat of a failure at Amiens but much more successful at Verdun. Two turns of attacks, chlorine gas and a successful siege resulted in conquest in spring 1915. The British attacked successfully from Calais to Ostend. British Reinforcements 4th army and French reinforcements 7th army have joined the fray. I really need more troops in France to keep up the pressure but there are other demands elsewhere.

Photo Western front end of turn 6

Developments in the south! An early Italian entry into the war caught me off guard. I moved a German corps to Trent as a garrison but the Italians managed to roll into Trieste without opposition. Under siege the fort held on until relieved by the Austro Hungarian reinforcement 10th army. Three further German corps were sent to this front by SR. Losses on both sides eventually saw the front stabilize with the Italians back in Venice. Meanwhile the reinforcement Austro Hungarian 11th army was battered by an attack from the Serbs.

Photo Southern Front end of turn 6

The Eastern front has seen Austro Hungarian and German offensives into Czernowitz, Przemysl and Lublin with some success. In the Near East the Turks took Batum on the Black Sea coast and the British secured Ahwaz in Persia before scurrying back to their base at Basra.

Photo: Eastern front end of Turn 6

Turns 7-9 Fall 1915 - Spring 1916 (played 08 Feb 10)

I continued with a heavy commitment on the Western front with attacks on Amiens and Nancy. Both produced heavy losses and the latter fell. The French 4th army was permanently eliminated in this battle due to a lack of corps in the reserve pool. Inspired the Germans attacked again against level 2 entrenched forces in Bar de Luc resulting in further mutual losses. The heavy commitment in operations is beginning to tell however, the AP are incensed at the sinking of the Lusitania, they have landed forces into Salonika and brought up their strength with the French 10th army and the AUS and CND corps. A successful British counterattack managed to recover Ostend and the Belgians have reappeared into the fray. I am very tempted just to keep the pressure on in the west but feel that perhaps the rest of the CP cause will suffer for it. The AP have managed to advance to total war status while I am floundering at a war status of 4 - serious catching up required here (oops).

Photo: Western front end of Turn 9

I threatened the Italian front by sending the reinforcement German 9th Army to Trent but this was immediately countered by an AP SR move of the British 4th Army to Verona to reinforce the Italians there. There has not been any real fighting on the Italian front for some time.

Three Austro Hungarian armies assembled outside Belgrade and assaulted and destroyed the Serbian army there, a fitting retribution for the losses suffered at Serbian hands earlier. The fort held out under siege for 6 months before finally capitulating. Some of the besieging forces had to be sent northwards to counter the Russian juggernaut.

Russian forces, reinforced by the 6th and 7th armies, smashed their way into Munkacs sweeping aside opposition. The road to Budapest is looking uncomfortably open for them. In the north the German 8th army captured Warsaw. Further forces are necessary in the east to stabilize the situation and make some headway.

Photo: Eastern front end of Turn 9

Situation end of Turn 9 War status AP 11, CP 4 Victory level 12

Turns 10-12 Summer 1916 - Winter 1917 (played 15 Feb 10)

In order to keep up the pressure I sent the German 2nd army into Cambrai, the three armies there now threatening Amiens and Calais. An SR move of 4 corps from the reserve box, two to Strasbourg and two to Warsaw was helpful since it allowed me to move the 6th army into Nancy. The AP made some readjustments to their lines in response to these moves although their attention was mainly focused in the east and near east. An assault on Belfort with place of execution resulted in the fall of this city and the opening up of southern france.

I advanced the 2nd, 6th and 10th armies into Chateau Thierry and the 3rd and 5th armies into Dijon. The French subsequently withdrew from the exposed Bar de luc to form an entrenched line Paris - Melun - Nevers. The latter, with only one army, fell to a German attack, cutting effective communication between France and Italy. The British reinforcement 5th army arrived in northern France although combat activity here was generally quiet; I feel perhaps the British should have been pressuring me, on a number of turns BR replacements were "wasted" whereas I was usually able to bring my German armies up to full strength.

Photo: Western front end of Turn 12

In the east the Russians maintained pressure on the Austro Hungarians, advancing into Cluj and Debrechen. With losses they also smashed the AH 4th and 2nd armies defending the mountainous Uzhgorod. Replacements allowed reformation of the 7th army in Budapest and to bring the 4th back up to strength. The Russians are perhaps a little wary of advancing too aggressively into Austria Hungary due to German activity to the north.
The German 11th army reinforcement at Breslau and the 8th army assaulted Lublin and Przemysl resulting in Russian losses and some gaps in the enemy line. Further north German corps took Kovno. Russian casualties both in offense and defense have been accumulating for some time and at a rate faster than their replacements. They have 6 armies and 2 corps in the dead pool and only 2 corps in the reserve pool. I feel the initiative in the east is swinging back to the CP favour.
I played Oberost (finally) along with bringing Bulgaria into the war, both helping to improve the CP war status. There are openings for the upcoming Spring 1917 assault to isolate practically the entire Russian army and bring on collapse of that front.

Photo: Eastern front end of Turn 12.

In the south I was tempted to SR the German 9th army from Trent to the Eastern front, but its presence in the south is keeping things quite stable. I had to forfeit an AH(It) mandatory offensive since assaulting the level 2 entrenched Italians in Venice would have been a suicide that the Austro Hungarians could not afford at the time. (I feel a little comforted because the French missed out on one of their Mandatory Offensives also). The Italian front has therefore only seen some rearranging of the front line. The Italian 3rd army plus a corps has crossed the Adriatic and advanced into Skopje to face two German corps in Valjevo and the Bulgarians.

Photo: Southern front end of Turn 12.

In the Near East Yudenitch with his CAU army has steam rolled into eastern Turkey. The Russians have taken Erzerum and Erzingan and there is not a lot I can do about this. A connection to the rest of the CP in Serbia will allow me to SR German corps to Turkey but I have not managed to achieve this link yet. The British have constructed the Sinai pipeline so I can expect some enemy activity in Palestine soon enough.

Photo: Near East front end of Turn 12.

Situation end of Turn 12 War status AP 12, CP 8 Victory level 11

Turns 13-14 Spring 1917 - Summer 1917 (played 23 Feb 10)

A sweeping encirclement by German corps to Dubno and Kamenets Podolski isolated 4 Russian armies and another corps movement to Grodno isolated a further army. The Russians reacted with the few corps available but were in turn countered by the German 8th and 11th armies. This collapse of the Russian front was the bright moment of an evening beset with problems on other fronts.

Photo: Eastern front end of Turn 14

In the West I launched a massive attack on Melun with flame throwers with the intention to follow up any success in a subsequent impulse. Unfortunately Melun was reinforced and meanwhile the British launched an offensive which broke through to Brussels and Sedan. The 2nd army in Chateau Thierry and the 7th army in Cambrai had to attack eastwards to recover the situation pushing the British back to Ostend. Significant losses however have stalled my plans for further offensives here until I can recover my forces.

Photo: Western front end of Turn 14.

The Reichstag Truce and Walter Rathenau raised the CP war status up to 11 and total war - what a sacrifice to send such good cards from the game!
On the Italian front the Austro Hungarians conducted their Mandatory Offensive although the Italians quickly replaced their losses. The front has seen some to and fro over the control of Udine.

Photo: Southern front end of Turn 14.

Further south the Italian 3rd army attacked Sofia unsuccessfully. German corps in Nis have finally allowed SR moves to the Near East.

Photo: Balkan front end of Turn 14.

The only non-Turkish CP units in the Near East are two Bulgarian corps sent there as a desperate recovery measure upon collapse of the Turkish army. The Russian Caucasus army, a few Russian corps with assistance from British and Australian corps from Kuwait managed to isolate the entire Levant resulting in starvation and surrender of 3 corps. Jerusalem, Damascus, Baghdad and Mosul fell into allied hands. Oh, my..

Photo: Near East end of Turn 14.

Huge gains and losses and the situation looking as fragile as ever.

Situation end of Turn 14 War status AP 13, CP 11 Victory level 11

Turns 15-16 Fall 1917 - Winter 1918 (played 09 Mar 10)

A German assault on Venice with Mustard Gas was indecisive although some attrition is being achieved overall in combat on the Italian front.

In the West the weakened Germans were attacked by both the British and French forces. It was necessary to withdraw from the exposed Chateau Thierry to reinforce other points in the line. Three British army’s managed to assault, capture and entrench themselves in Brussels. The reinforcement German 14th Army along with significant replacements headed west to rectify the situation.

The AP Independent Air force became active cancelling the German Rathenau RP bonus. The Germans appointed Hindenburg and Lundendorff to take overall command of their forces.

Photo: End turn 16 Italian and West fronts

Some maneuvering has taken place in the far north as Russian reinforcement armies start to make an appearance. The German 8th army suffered a debacle in its assault on a Russian corps at Odessa. The 8th were reduced in this combat and then subsequently attacked and further reduced by two Russian armies. What a shameful end to a glorious campaign. The surviving German corps was moved by SR to the Reserve box for later reallocation.

Further Turkish losses occurred when the Russian CAU army reached Samsun isolating and destroying the Bulgarian and Turk forces further east on the coast. Turkish replacements and a German corps have been rushed to the defences east of Constantinople.

Photo: End turn 16 Near east and Balkans

Situation end of turn 16 War status AP 14, CP 13 Victory level 10

Turns 17-18 Spring - Summer 1918 (played 15 Mar 10)

A build up of Austro Hungarian forces permitted a major offensive on the Italian front to take place. The German 9th army captured Venice with the Blucher offensive. Despite being ejected by the British 4th army the AP were too weak to hold back 3 Austro Hungarian armies in Udine from retaking the city while another 3 AH armies advanced from Trent to Verona. Subsequently Austro Hungarian armies advanced into Bologna and the German 9th army into Milan. The situation here is looking good for the CP.

Photo: End turn 18 Italian front.

In the West; the German reinforcement 17th and 18th armies facilitated a counterattack onto the British armies in Brussels who were forced back to Ostend. Further south the massive Michel offensive smashed the French defences in Melun and subsequent attacks saw the fall of Orleans. German forces are next to Paris. Meanwhile U-boats were unleashed but then the AP instituted Convoy. The successes in the west are however offset by problems in the East.

Photo: End turn 18 West front.

The Russian CAU army was unstoppable as it gradually rolled towards and then into Constantinople. The paltry Turkish forces have little to do now. Although the Italian 3rd army has been withdrawn back to Italy the situation is still in doubt particularly since the Serbian 2nd army has been brought up to strength.

Photo: End turn 18 Balkan front.

In the east the gradual build up of Russian armies is starting to make its presence felt. Kiev, Czernowitz, Lemberg, Minsk and Vilna have all fallen without resistance. Desperate attention required!

Photo: End turn 18 East front

Situation end of turn 18 War status AP 14 CP 16 VP 12

Turns 19-20 Fall 1918 - Winter 1919 (played 29 Mar 10)

Two assaults on Ostend by 3 German armies was sufficient to expel the British forces from the city. Antwerp was easily taken but little other activity occurred in the west. The threat of a last minute swing behind Paris by German forces in Orleans was blocked by the reinforcement British 2nd Army. A final Mandatory Offensive by the French was missed although the Blockade continued its effect in Winter 1919.

Photo: End turn 20 West.

Three Austro Hungarian armies in Bologna assaulted the British 4th Army plus Italian corps in Florence but were unable to take the city. Italian reinforcements were rushed north to stabilize the front. The Austro Hungarian armies did manage to beat up the French army in Genoa which finally fell later to German forces.

Photo: End turn 20 Italian

Most of the activity in the last part of the war occurred in the East. Russian forces advanced into Austria Hungary taking Cluj, Lemberg and Przemysl. Thus began a series of encircling maneuvers as each side tried to cut the other out of supply while maintain their own tenuous lines. The Brusilov offensive helped tip the balance and the Austro Hungarian 1st army along with the German 11th army were marched off to prisoner of war camps. Desperate SR moves of corps from the Reserve box, Italian, Western and Balkan fronts helped to keep some semblance of order for the situation. While the Russian 8th army and a corps were isolated and destroyed the overall effect was a general retreat in the East. The Russians managed to capture Czernowitz, Cluj, Warsaw and Danzig.

Photo: End turn 20 East

Situation end of turn 20 War status AP 16, CP 16, VP 12.
A draw - after some 20 hours of gaming!

Lessons learned? Watch the War status. If the other player is getting cards from the new deck you may not have an effective counter - loss of the Near East was a disaster. My commitment (as CP) was too heavy in the West, perhaps fine for a while but better forces in the East might have proportionally given much more success on that front. Otherwise not too bad I suppose. This is a great game, frustrating though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
johnrgordon wrote:

[Is it legal to have the BEF Army and corps together on the board? It didn’t seem right but I couldn’t see anything in the rules against this].

Yep, it's legal and it's actually a very good move, because if the BEF Army dies, they can't be replaced anyway, so their corps will come on the board. But if they're already on the board nothing 'extra' happens. In the meantime the corps adds some decent strength to that area during the early war - nice move for a supposed 'newbie'.

johnrgordon wrote:

I entrenched in Sedan, things are starting to bog down.

If you still hold Sedan, with a trench, you should be in a pretty decent defensive position, the loss of Brussels is a slight problem though...

All in all it looks like a pretty good start to the game for newbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that you remembered that neither player gains Limited War status at the end of the Aug 1914 turn. I made that mistake in my first couple of games.

Good moves by the CP and Allies in France. Kudos to the Allies for making Chateau Thierry a death trap for the CP. If I were the CP player, I would go after that vulnerable British 1st army sitting all by themselves in Calais before they get reinforced.

As for the Eastern Front, I'm surprised the Ruskies haven't made a strike against Konigsberg yet or rushed 1st or 2nd Army south to help in Austrian smackdown. Still, the Russians are vulnerable to a counterattack by the Austrian and German forces.

I've noticed that you made a major commitment of GE armies to Western Front. Just be careful not to neglect the Eastern Front. The Ruskies might take advantage and make a go for East Prussia or make life even more difficult for the Austrians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:

I've noticed that you made a major commitment of GE armies to Western Front. Just be careful not to neglect the Eastern Front. The Ruskies might take advantage and make a go for East Prussia or make life even more difficult for the Austrians.

This is what makes POG so much fun -- constantly balancing two fronts while still trying to make decisive moves - POG was my first wargame purchase as an adult and still my favorite.

Look forward to reading more on your battle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gordon
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SorenK23 wrote:

Thank you for your comments gentlemen. I admit I am pushing very hard on the Western front, things can seem just on the brink of success....but then not quite! A frustrating, challenging and tense game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gordon
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:
I hope that you remembered that neither player gains Limited War status at the end of the Aug 1914 turn.

No, that's okay. LW was achieved in Sep 1914. Phew, no rules gaffs so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos on taking Nancy and Verdun, you have almost rolled up the entire French right flank. If you can keep up the pressure on this sector and don't suffer too many loses, the Allies are going to be hard pressed to stop your advance. Well done on wearing down the French.

Still, the Central Powers are in a tight spot. You are going to need those Total War cards to have any chance of taking down France or facing a possible American intervention. I recommend you up your war status as quickly as possible, so you can get your hands on the Kaiserschlacht offensive cards. With your forces so close to Paris, I would not be surprised if the Germans march right in with these powerful combat cards.

Things are looking good in Italy and Russia, but don't kid yourself about the Eastern Front. The Russians are on the verge of sweeping into Austria, so you need to get more troops to that location or keep the Allies too busy to activate the Russian armies.

If you can, try to coordinate an Austrian attack against Italy with your assault on the Western Front. That way, the Allies are caught in the horns of a dilemma: they can resist you in France and possibly lose Italy or rush forces to Italy and be too weak to stop a German drive for Paris. Something to consider for 1917 or 1918.

Just be thankful the Allied player has blundered as well. He should have held off on Salonika and waited for the MEF invasion card. With your forces heavily committed on the Eastern and Western Fronts, I doubt the Central Powers could do much to help Turkey.

Plus, your 4 war status means you won't be able to deploy the powerful AOL or YLD Turkish armies for some time. That means, the MEF and the Caucasus armies could rampage through the Near East and you could to little do stop them. Now all you have to worry about is a possible drive on Constantinople from Salonika which can be easily blocked in the mountains.

Very interesting game to this point. I am intrigued to see what will happen in the next few turns. Oh and just to help the readers out, you might want to post the VP score and War Status for each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Richmore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:

Just be thankful the Allied player has blundered as well. He should have held off on Salonika and waited for the MEF invasion card. With your forces heavily committed on the Eastern and Western Fronts, I doubt the Central Powers could do much to help Turkey.

Hi. I'm pretty new to the game. I was wondering why it was such a major blunder for the AP player to play the Salonika card? Does this mean he can't play the MEF card now?

KR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barratt
United Kingdom
Royal Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KenRich wrote:
Ricomaurer wrote:

Hi. I'm pretty new to the game. I was wondering why it was such a major blunder for the AP player to play the Salonika card? Does this mean he can't play the MEF card now?

KR

That's pretty much it. If played after Salonika the MEF can only arrive in London, which isn't going to do much to threaten the Turks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, the only counter to MEF or Caucasus armies early in the game is to get the CP to Total War, so the Turks can bring in the YLD and AOI armies to beef up the Turkish corps in the Middle East.

The MEF Army with its measly 1 strength is just a waste of space needed for a full strength Allied army on the Western Front. Better to "loan" it to the Italian allies. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good AR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent job on rolling up the French lines and pinning a British and French army in Italy. Just get yourself to Total War in the next few turns and you'll be able to unleash the Kaiserschlacht offensives to win the war for the Central Powers.

I'm not surprised about the Russian burnout; it is typical of new players. They get into the Risk mentatility of constantly attacking and forgetting to replace their losses or to possess enough strength to hold their gains. With your forces available right now, I would say you could launch a strong counterattack on the Eastern Front and reclaim lost ground before the Ruskies rebuild their shattered armies.

Just be careful of Yudenitch, if you have the chance, I would send some German and Bulgarian corps to the Near East to shore up this vital front. It would really suck to have rolled up France and lose the Middle East. Yudenitch's army has to take all casualties first, so figure out a way to burn him up. Once he is gone, he can't be replace by the Ruskies. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your "reconaissance in force" in Russia turned out better than expected; well done on dealing the Ruskies a serious blow. If you can hold onto all the Ruskie VPs and finish off France, I imagine the game will be yours.

Stinks about the Near East, but what can you do about it? Just hang onto Constantinople and keep the Italians away. Maybe it might be the time to launch a fresh offensive in Italy. Make them regret sending an army to the Balkans instead of guarding Italy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How goes the War to End All Wars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gordon
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick,
The game seems to be taking on qualities of the actual war!
It is still on the table in the spare room, awaiting a mutually convenient time to continue. I would much prefer a full day session to play beginning to end in one hit, but unfortunately this is working out to about 2 hours per week.
Thank you for your comments.
War to be continued....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the feeling. shake I started a POG game by email a month ago and we have finished turn 2 today. Look forward to seeing how things work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, the game is really going to be a close one. I hope that you can get the Kaiserschlacht cards to unleash a last ditch offensive against Paris that would be epic way to end the game. Hopefully you will get the cards to start the Bolshevik Revolution. If Romania is still neutral when that happens, you will gain 2 extra VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, I wouldn't blame it on the Western Front too much. You had a powerful breakthrough and achieved some notable successes. I imagine if the Allies hadn't been so hard pressed to keep the CP contained there, they would have been able to cause all kinds of trouble elsewhere.

Your offensive into Russia would have stalled regardless because the country is just too vast; hence, why it is good to hold in the line in the East and/or get the Russian Revolution rolling as quickly as possible. Italy would have required a commitment of forces that would have weakened your other fronts drastically and led to serious reverses.

The major problem was being so far behind in war status. In all my games, both players achieve LW by the end of 1914 and TW by mid 1916 at the latest. These cards have great benefits for both sides, so you need to get your nation mobilized as quickly as possible. The big question is what would have happened if the CP had achieved Total War in mid 1916 rather than mid 1917.

All in all, you played an excellent starting game and learned some good lessons to apply next time. Hopefully, you will better guard the Mid-East next time or if nothing else delay the AP long enough to clinch the win on another front.

As for your Allied player, I have to commend him as well for his determination and strategy. He managed to avert disaster in the West and pulled a smashing win in the Mid East with only the Russian armies and throwing away the advantage of the MEF invasion.

He did make a serious mistake by not replacing the Russian casualties early on. I've seen other first time players do it as well; they get all attack crazy and don't realize that it is one thing to take a position but quite another to hold onto it. In addition, he sent an Italian army off to the Balkans which could have held the line or delayed your Italian offensive.

I hope you both poured a glass and toasted your first POG game. Don't worry too much, my wargamer friend and I have gotten our POG games down to eight hours now where before they were much longer. Once the rules and strategies start clicking, you will be able to play much faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Richmore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:

He did make a serious mistake by not replacing the Russian casualties early on. I've seen other first time players do it as well; they get all attack crazy and don't realize that it is one thing to take a position but quite another to hold onto it. In addition, he sent an Italian army off to the Balkans which could have held the line or delayed your Italian offensive.

I'll come clean.... I was John's opponent in this epic contest.

I agree with your statement that I was a bit green when I went all attack crazy with the Russians in late 1915, only to see them get surrounded by quick movement of lots of agile German corps that skipped around behind the slow moving Russian armies to permanently wipe out 5 of them in one game turn! I won't be making that mistake again.

With regard to the Italian army in the Balkans, I felt it achieved it's purpose to a certain extent in that it forced John to station forces in Belgrade which couldn't be used elsewhere, at a time when the Italian front was pretty stable from my point of view. It took the transferral of all the Austro-Hungarian armies stationed in the East to crack the Italian defences and in doing so, allowed me to counter-attack on the Russian front to good effect.

Overall, I would rate this game highly although it can be frustrating to the point of wanting to gouge your own eyes out at times. zombie It's a very clever design with lots of subtleties and if one side loads up on a particular front, then if the opponent is smart and doesn't lose his nerve, he can simply counter-attack at the place which has become relatively neglected as a result. This often forces the initiator of the original offensive to have to divert attention from the promising attack to shore up the location of the new enemy threat, thereby robbing the offensive of it's chance for a knock-out blow.

Good game John and we will definitely have to have another go at this when 'she who must be obeyed' gets over the dislocation to the house that this battle created.

Regards

KR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, those pesky Germans can be very sneaky. I am curious though about the supply rule for this game. Were you allowed a single action round to activate the units currently out of supply to re-establish your supply lines?

Yikes, I had no idea that the Eastern Front was weakened in order to make a successful attack against Italy. In that case, I would say you lucked out that you were able to prevent the CP from bulldozing Italy completely while the Russians were recovering. Fortune was definitely watcing over the Allies this game.

I have been a similar situation playing the Allies where an Austrian attack with four armies managed to bulldoze through my defenses and reach Venice before I was able to turn them back by transfering a British and French army from the Western Front.

Your assessment of this game is correct; it is a delicate balancing act. Over extend or commit yourself on one front and you are vulnerable to posssible attack on another. Despite significant success on one front, a disaster in another area can prevent you from exploiting this success which was very true of events and campaigns in World War 1.

A couple of historical examples come to mind right away:

- In 1915 and 1916, German successes on the Eastern Front prevented the Russians from fully exploiting their wins against Turkey.

- The constant Allied attacks along the Western Front prevented the Germans was devoting more resources to the Eastern Front in order to knock Russia out of the war.

- In 1918, the Allied forces prepared a knockout blow against the Turks at Meggido. The German successful offensives on the Western Front forced the Brits to withdraw several veteran divisions to shore up this vital front. This drain delayed the eventual British attack by several months.

I agree that more plays will definitely improve a players ability to not panic in tense situations and develop flexible plans to constantly changing conditions. Much like the commanders of the great war had to deal with as the war progressed and the battle fronts multipled.

Glad you were able to enjoy this great game and definitely hit me up for information or an online game if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Richmore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:
Yeah, those pesky Germans can be very sneaky. I am curious though about the supply rule for this game. Were you allowed a single action round to activate the units currently out of supply to re-establish your supply lines?

Yikes, I had no idea that the Eastern Front was weakened in order to make a successful attack against Italy. In that case, I would say you lucked out that you were able to prevent the CP from bulldozing Italy completely while the Russians were recovering. Fortune was definitely watcing over the Allies this game.

The answer to your question in the first paragraph is no. The supply rules seemed pretty clear that once a unit is out of supply it's effectively frozen in place until other units can re-establish a supply line to it. If you have no other units to do this then you're pretty much screwed is how John and I interpreted the rules. Did we miss something there?

Regarding your statement in the 2nd paragraph... I like to think that it was good play on my part to resurect the Eastern front while the Austo-Hungarian and German armies descended on Italy, rather than sheer good fortune! Rest assured, I never managed to throw any sensational dice rolls when they mattered at that stage of the game. John's view may be different of course.

Regards

KR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it isn't in the official rules more of an unofficial rule to negate the chance of a lone corp sweeping behind and cutting off a whole swath of armies. Many POG players complained that it was too much like World War 2 rather than the slow movements of World War 1. When in reality, rapid encirclements like Tannenberg were extremely rare.

Plus, it forces both players to commit a large force in an attempt to encircle their opponent's armies rather than just waiting for an opportunity to sneak one corps in. While at the same time, it still forces players to monitor their supply lines and be careful how they deploy their forces.

Oh no, my statement was more of an observation rather than a critique. Your rebuilding Russia's armies ASAP allowed you to exploit this CP weakness and I'm sure your opponent was gambling on your inability to recover so quickly. I was just noting how fortunate that this collapse of the Russian Front and the redeployment of the bulk of Austria's armies to Italy didn't lead to disaster on the Italian Front.

I've heard horror stories of the Mid-East scenario in reverse on the Italian Front where the GE and AH bulldoze through Italy in one turn and then move against France from the southeast. I haven't had it happen to me as the Allies yet, but I am always on guard to protect Italy against such a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.