Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I know you can just do it in your head by rounding up to next highest even number and dividing by 2 to get same result. But, in my 30+ years of gaming, I have actually had players that slowed the game down cause they couldn't do it or at least quickly, so here is a quick fix for that.

Take a normal 1-8 numbered d8 die and do the following

Tool: Fine point permanent marker in color of choice or fine point paint pen or brush with paint color of choice.

Using the marker (or what ever), put dots on the d8 as below:

1 & 2 sides put 1 dot each lower left corner of triangle face.
3 & 4 sides put 1 dot each lower left and lower right corner of triangle face.
5 & 6 sides put 1 dot each corner of triangle face.
7 & 8 sides put 4 dots accross base of triangle face below the 7 & 8.

There you have an 8 sided d4 and a regular d8 too.

Also, take blank d8 and paint or dot 1-4 on each side on one of the 4 sided pyriamid half of d8 and then do same in opposite order on other d8 half. This gives you only a d8 with 1-4 twice.

You can do same to make d5 using a d10 die or blank

Hope this helps someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could buy yourself a nice D4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:

I have recently developed nerve damage that appears to be permanent. I have a hard time picking up a good old-fashioned d4, so using a d8 is much easier. Fortunately for me, I am still good and fast at math, but I like the tip and am glad he shared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Martin,

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that you can regain some dexterity through Physio or something.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
teufen wrote:

I have recently developed nerve damage that appears to be permanent. I have a hard time picking up a good old-fashioned d4, so using a d8 is much easier. Fortunately for me, I am still good and fast at math, but I like the tip and am glad he shared.

I'm sorry to hear so, Martin! In that case a substitute for the difficult to handle tetrahedron is a good idea indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:

d4s just flat stop and some die towers don't like them, the 8 sided d4 is more rollie-pollie with same results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

Sorry for your pain. And that's right, an 8 sided d4 is much easier to pick-up. And a side benefit, they don't hurt near as much as a regular d4 when your shoeless foot finds that one that was lost last game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Levine
United States
Oro Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could look at the number mod 4 on the die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rlbond86 wrote:
Or you could look at the number mod 4 on the die.

But that would go from 0 to 3, if someone has trouble with the concept of dividing a small number by 2 and rounding up (While somehow still being able to play a game with reasonable skill ), I'd expect them to have even more of a problem with performing a modulo and an addition (of one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
chessex sells 8 sided d4s (d8 numbered 1-4 twice). I have some of them and like them quite well.

edit: I just checked and they also offer Roman d4 dice (d12 numbered I, II, III, IV thrice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.