EastFront II» Forums » Variants

Subject: GERMAN AIRSTRIKE QUESTION rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
georgios makrogiannidis
United States
California
flag msg tools
The last time that i played the Germans did a lot better that they did historically. Is there a rule about changing Germanys airpower if they are doing a lot better later on the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no such rule but imo the German success does not depend on Airpower at all.

I guess you played Barbarossa but who did you play against? (It has been a very long time since a German player beat me playing Stalin:-))
Just in case; did you dubbel check you played all the rules correctly?

I do not have the rules in front of me but dubbelcheck:

-HQ rule that streamlines the original EasFront in preventing to combining 2 HQ's to blitz evry other turn.
-The mobile role / combat role of HQ's (HQ can't deploy in combat support role)
-German Reinforcements can't appear in Russia (new units only appear in Poland or Hungary).
-Supply rules

Furthermore check the russian strategy. Pull back as many units as you can using favorable terrain when playing Barbarossa.

Again, German airpower is in imo not a deciding factor. Would love to play the Russians against you :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
I took the OP to mean that the Germans should have better airpower later in the game if they were doing better than history. What say you OP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
I took the OP to mean that the Germans should have better airpower later in the game if they were doing better than history. What say you OP?

That's how I understood the OP too.

Although deteriorating airpower is frustrating for the German player, it is probably accurate to history. Off the top of my head: (i) the Luftwaffe was limited by fuel constraints throughout the war, (ii) an increasing percentage of the Luftwaffe was relocated to Germany to defend against the Allied strategic bombing campaign as the war went on, and (iii) the Soviets were producing incredible numbers of aircraft in the Ural Mountains. None of these factors would be influenced by the Germans winning at, for example, Kursk or Stalingrad.

If the OP is interested, the designer has a set of optional rules where the Germans can invest PP into airpower, but only if the Germans capture Baku or the Mid East first (representing the need for an additional source of oil). This is unlikely to happen in a typical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios makrogiannidis
United States
California
flag msg tools
it doesn't happen often but it can happen. It usually follows the historical path give and take some. But it would be nice to know where are these optional rules are in case it happens again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
The air module is on the Columbia Games website:

http://www.columbiagames.com/resources/3008/airmodule/euroai...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios makrogiannidis
United States
California
flag msg tools
That makes a lot of sense now. Is there any other optional rules NOt in the rule book that dont know about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not that I am aware of, but I can't speak for the designer (obviously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
There is no such rule but imo the German success does not depend on Airpower at all.

IMO, the only time airpower is not important is when the Soviets are racing every unit back to Moscow or Rostov, and the Germans are blitzing in an attempt to keep up. That is an unusual situation because there is almost no combat; the game resembles a race more than anything. (I try not to play the Germans or Soviets that way.)

But in a more historical game, airpower is crucial both for its power and the ability to shape expected value. For example, if I assign a 3 CV, triple fire airstrike to a battle, I expect to get 1.5 hits from the airstrike. Calculations like that are important to determine how many units to assign to a battle. This is especially true for the Germans during the first summer -- you don't want a couple of armor corps stuck in combat for a turn because you miscalculated the expected damage that they would inflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios makrogiannidis
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have played Ed's variant and I like it better cause Russian are actually stay and fight instead of running away. That makes more sense to me .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizban517 wrote:
IMO, the only time airpower is not important is when the Soviets are racing every unit back to Moscow or Rostov, and the Germans are blitzing in an attempt to keep up. That is an unusual situation because there is almost no combat; the game resembles a race more than anything. (I try not to play the Germans or Soviets that way.)

If you don't play that way, how do you prevent excessive Soviet losses in the Barbarossa scenario? Rapidly falling back to the Leningad-Moscow-Rostov line seems to be the required strategy, as far as I can tell. One reason being the Germans have an easy time making breakthroughs with their TF airpower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
If you don't play that way, how do you prevent excessive Soviet losses in the Barbarossa scenario?

You are correct that the Soviet will fall back to the Leningrad-Moscow-Rostov line eventually. I was just referring to not railing units back there in June, or setting up on that line with a free setup. It is ahistorical and takes a lot of the fun out of the Summer 1941 scenario.

If the German player uses the Blob (i.e. groups all of his HQs together), I try to hang tough on the flanks and stretch his front line. If the German player splits his army into two groups, with two HQs in each group, the Soviets can make stands at rivers and cities for a fortnight before retreating, and slow the German advance a bit.

I'm not an EastFront expert by any means, but I think you can play a competitive game as the Soviets that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.