Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Evans
Canada
Nobleton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a situation that a player would likely create very often in this game, however:

Example: I move my ship, carrying a colony module, onto a sector that contains an asteroid field and a blue planet. For some reason, instead of colonizing the planet, I decide to create a mining colony. This means that I'll be placing the reward counter over top of the blue planet in that sector.

I then move my ship token to a neighbouring sector, which contains a face-down tile that I Explore.

When deciding on the orientation of the tile, does that covered blue planet still count when determining whether or not you can place a planet in that new sector?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mevans444 wrote:
This isn't a situation that a player would likely create very often in this game, however:

Example: I move my ship, carrying a colony module, onto a sector that contains an asteroid field and a blue planet. For some reason, instead of colonizing the planet, I decide to create a mining colony. This means that I'll be placing the reward counter over top of the blue planet in that sector.

I then move my ship token to a neighbouring sector, which contains a face-down tile that I Explore.

When deciding on the orientation of the tile, does that covered blue planet still count when determining whether or not you can place a planet in that new sector?

Good question, and one that was bound to come up sooner or later. The answer is that things covered up by reward tiles can be considered out of the game and forgotten, therefore yes - if you cover up all planets in a sector when colonizing an Asteroid Field, they no longer exist and another planet may be placed adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
Canada
Nobleton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
... things covered up by reward tiles can be considered out of the game and forgotten, therefore yes - if you cover up all planets in a sector when colonizing an Asteroid Field, they no longer exist and another planet may be placed adjacent.

That's interesting. I was half expecting the answer to be the opposite.
That is, that the planet would still be there.

These human colonists that we're carting around on our ships must be extremely voracious for raw materials! Capable of destroying/consuming an entire planet (or 2) to construct the infrastructure of their new colonies!

goosurprisegoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mevans444 wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
... things covered up by reward tiles can be considered out of the game and forgotten, therefore yes - if you cover up all planets in a sector when colonizing an Asteroid Field, they no longer exist and another planet may be placed adjacent.

These human colonists that we're carting around on our ships must be extremely voracious for raw materials! Capable of destroying/consuming an entire planet (or 2) to construct the infrastructure of their new colonies!

goosurprisegoo

Honestly, this is one of those situations where the reality of the game production has influenced the rules of the game. In my old prototype there were no reward tiles, and even when there were, they didn't cover up things on the board. The new (and improved!) pac-man shaped reward tiles cover information, and it would be super easy to accidentally place a tile illegally if that restriction were maintained. Since it doesn't affect the game negatively I decided it would be better to say "the covered planets are gone forever" than "you have to be careful not to forget what's under the adjacent reward tile!"

I'm comfortable with that ruling though, so it's the official answer in case this situation comes up (which it undoubtedly will).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
mevans444 wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:

goosurprisegoo

Honestly, this is one of those situations where the reality of the game production has influenced the rules of the game. In my old prototype there were no reward tiles, and even when there were, they didn't cover up things on the board. The new (and improved!) pac-man shaped reward tiles cover information, and it would be super easy to accidentally place a tile illegally if that restriction were maintained. Since it doesn't affect the game negatively I decided it would be better to say "the covered planets are gone forever" than "you have to be careful not to forget what's under the adjacent reward tile!"

I'm comfortable with that ruling though, so it's the official answer in case this situation comes up (which it undoubtedly will).

Covering up a planet with a reward tile and pretending it's not there isn't really any more different/strange than having a choice in how some of the tiles can be placed when you explore (i.e. the hand of god?). At some point you have to suspend reality a bit in order to just make the game work - it's not like it's a real-life simulation of actual space exploration and colonization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.