Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Evans
Canada
Nobleton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the rulebook specified that a player must use all of his actions during his turn.

Does this mean that sometimes a player might be forced to use his last, unused action point to move off of a colony even when he wants to stay there?

Illustrative example:

I have a ship with 4 Thrusters/Action Points.

Action 1: I move my ship onto one of my Blue Colonies.
Action 2: I pick up the Blue Resource Cube.
Action 3: I purchase a new Cargo Hold
Action 4: ?

I would like to stay on this colony to pick up another Blue Cube at the start of my next turn.

All 3 of the neighbouring sectors are fully explored, so (technically speaking), I can't do a Short Range Scan action.

The only thing left to do is a Move Action. Am I forced to move one sector, and then waste another Action at the start of my next turn moving back onto the colony?

Or is it allowable to use the Scan Action as a soak-off action, even though I'm not using the Scan properly?

googoogoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mevans444 wrote:
I noticed that the rulebook specified that a player must use all of his actions during his turn.

Does this mean that sometimes a player might be forced to use his last, unused action point to move off of a colony even when he wants to stay there?

Illustrative example:

I have a ship with 4 Thrusters/Action Points.

Action 1: I move my ship onto one of my Blue Colonies.
Action 2: I pick up the Blue Resource Cube.
Action 3: I purchase a new Cargo Hold
Action 4: ?

I would like to stay on this colony to pick up another Blue Cube at the start of my next turn.

All 3 of the neighbouring sectors are fully explored, so (technically speaking), I can't do a Short Range Scan action.

The only thing left to do is a Move Action. Am I forced to move one sector, and then waste another Action at the start of my next turn moving back onto the colony?

Or is it allowable to use the Scan Action as a soak-off action, even though I'm not using the Scan properly?

googoogoo

It is allowable to fire off your scanner, even if you already know what is on the adjacent tile (either because you scanned it already, or because it is in fact face up). So no, you are never forced to move.

"But Seth," you might ask, "why is there a rule that I MUST use all of my actions?" The reason is because if you are on a sector adjacent to aliens, you cannot simply sit there skipping actions without them shooting at you. Originally there was a "Pass" action, but that seemed silly when you can always Scan, so it got cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.