Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you ever play the whole map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was somewhat disappointed after reading the rules, because you dont ever get to play with the whole map!

Why is that? is it just for replayability?
Do you ever play the whole map with 6 adjusting the #of cities on the triggers for the steps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Whole Map?
You answered yourself, I guess. It's a mix of replayability and logistic issues: playing on the whole map with 6 players (and with more cities to own for each goal) would be not only too long, but also the Power Plants deck would be likely to be exhausted much before the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the possible variants using Power Plant Deck 2, does involve you playing on the complete map with 6 players. This has increased targets for the number of cities required, but you do have larger plants, above number 50, powering more than 7 cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tdbs wrote:
I was somewhat disappointed after reading the rules, because you dont ever get to play with the whole map!

It's analogous to games with geomorphic maps. You never play Squad Leader with all of the dozens of available mapboards combined either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tdbs wrote:
Do you ever play the whole map with 6 adjusting the #of cities on the triggers for the steps?

Only if you use Power Grid: The New Power Plant Cards and add the '+' plants to the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
It's analogous to games with geomorphic maps. You never play Squad Leader with all of the dozens of available mapboards combined either.

Few people play Dominion with all the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory could you play with all 6 territories but the last city in each territory becomes unavailable? If you had 6 poker chips you would just cover up a territory as it became the last one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
In theory could you play with all 6 territories but the last city in each territory becomes unavailable? If you had 6 poker chips you would just cover up a territory as it became the last one.

Sure you could, though be aware that this changes the actual game mechanics and strategy, possibly quite significantly, since you don't know in advance which cities will be playable with this proposed variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Danath wrote:

Sure you could, though be aware that this changes the actual game mechanics and strategy, possibly quite significantly, since you don't know in advance which cities will be playable with this proposed variant.

Which could be fun...

You could also just go around and select 6 cities to not play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have only read the rules, give the game a chance before you start complaining you can't play with the whole map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
eightbit wrote:
You have only read the rules, give the game a chance before you start complaining you can't play with the whole map.

Please dont get me wrong, after reading the rules i thought the game is GREAT, i just thought i would get to play the whole map so i wanted to know what do people think is the reason why we dont play with a the whole map, and to see if people here do play it like that with variants.

Even if it looks like it, i'm not complaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get the Benelux expansion, you can play with the whole map on that board since it only has what is effectively 5 regions of 7 cities (instead of the normal 6).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tdbs wrote:
eightbit wrote:

Please dont get me wrong, after reading the rules i thought the game is GREAT, i just thought i would get to play the whole map so i wanted to know what do people think is the reason why we dont play with a the whole map, and to see if people here do play it like that with variants.

Just try it, you'll like it. Not being able to play in a particular region is a feature not a flaw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with 6 on the whole map, without changing any rules, number of necessary cities, or else, and it was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tdbs wrote:
eightbit wrote:

The game is balanced by the fact that possible locations in each stage becomes quite tight. If the whole board was open, then the game would definitely lose some of the tension, since players wouldn't have to stump up as much cash to connect their cities.

Also, players choose their starting regions so this allows each board to provide a combination of different game areas per session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pethulhu wrote:
I played with 6 on the whole map, without changing any rules, number of necessary cities, or else, and it was fun.

You thought you were having fun, but you weren't really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm a heretic devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
If you get the Benelux expansion, you can play with the whole map on that board since it only has what is effectively 5 regions of 7 cities (instead of the normal 6).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Japan map has also 5 regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.