Hide
8 Posts

Carcassonne: The Castle» Forums » General

Subject: keep swings game too much? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hall
msg tools
We just started playing this game. When me and my gf play we find that largest keep always determines the winner. Are we not scoring well enough? Typically the score will be under 20 points before final scoring, and then someone's score will double because of the large keep. I don't see how to trap the other play into letting you score until the very end of the game. If you lay down a tile you want your opponent to lay next to you and complete that tower/path/house - they usually go to another start space instead and we rarely get back to where that last tile was. We go till we dead end ourselves leaving 20-30 empty spaces. Are we doing something wrong? Maybe there's a youtube video or something of someone playing more successfully?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hall
msg tools
I will also say usually our keeps are 1-3 in size, I don't see how it would be possible to close anything bigger as you'd have to have the other player help you, and they wouldn't want to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A score under 20 before final scoring? That seems definitely wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmb
miketunes wrote:
We just started playing this game. When me and my gf play we find that largest keep always determines the winner. Are we not scoring well enough? Typically the score will be under 20 points before final scoring, and then someone's score will double because of the large keep. I don't see how to trap the other play into letting you score until the very end of the game. If you lay down a tile you want your opponent to lay next to you and complete that tower/path/house - they usually go to another start space instead and we rarely get back to where that last tile was. We go till we dead end ourselves leaving 20-30 empty spaces. Are we doing something wrong? Maybe there's a youtube video or something of someone playing more successfully?

You're doing something very wrong. You should play through all of the tiles, and then the game ends. That usually leaves around half a dozen empty spaces at the end of the game. Points before end-game scoring range from 60-70 usually.

It's really hard to tell what you're doing wrong from how you've described your play. Are you doing all of the following below correctly?

- Tiles can go anywhere as long as the roads match and they connect to any previously played tile or any start space

- Roads can dead-end into the side of the castle [I believe]

- You can play a tile connected to a feature that nobody has followers on; see first comment above... tiles can be played anywhere

- Followers can be placed on a feature even if touches another feature [of a different type] that followers are already on [for example, they could play a tile that extends your road, but then play a follower on a keep on that new tile]

- You can play tiles that extend your own feature, extend the opponent's feature, or extend nobody's features... anywhere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you provide some details on how you get only 20 points until the end? Do you score the roads, or not? Do you know that you can place marketplaces next to buildings, you have to check only the roads to fit when laying a tile? I'd suggest re-reading the rules but I'm not sure if it's not the way you play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

- Roads can dead-end into the side of the castle [I believe]anywhere

That's right.
Also you can use the tokens you get from the walls (the scoring fields) to score even more. We usually end the game with a score above 70, the winner sometimes even getting more than 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmb
I think this is probably what's happening:

It sounds like you're playing that each tile has to be played next to the immediately previous tile or, if not there, next to an open start space.

That would be the only way I can come up with that you could "dead end" yourself before going through all of the tiles, which ends the game.

You can play newly drawn tiles next to any tile or start-space. You're probably getting confused by the "previously played" wording in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hall
msg tools
Thanks, we were do the immediately played places.. that makes much more sense now. We'll give it another go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.