Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, we had a weird situation in our game this afternoon. I had an elf sorcerer, who's ability allows him to discard a monster if you are succesful in killing another monster. The thunderstone was in rank 3 (nearest the deck) and two monsters were infront occupying rank 1 and 2, I could kill either rank 1 or rank 2 aforementioned monsters- they were both easily within my killing capabilties. So if I kill one of them, and discard the other with the elf's ability- do I claim the thunderstone?

My action caused the thunderstone to be moved up to rank 1- so do I get it?

Btw- the game was really tight and tense- we both ended up with 45 victory points so it was a draw- if I was supposed to have the thunderstone it would've tipped my score to 48! We played it as no-one gets the thunderstone- what do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do NOT get it. You have to specifically defeat the monster which moves the Thunderstone into Rank 1. The elf's ability does not defeat the monster; just moves it to the bottom of the deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
According to the latest rules (p18):

"The game ends when the Thunderstone card
reaches Rank 1 of the Dungeon Hall. If you
defeated a Monster in Rank 1 on your turn, and
this causes the Thunderstone to move into that
open rank, then you take the Thunderstone and
add it to your deck!
If not, then no one can claim
the Thunderstone." (emphasis added)

I would argue that if you used your Elf Wizard to kill the monster in Rank 1, then send the monster in Rank 2 to the bottom of the deck, you would get the Thunderstone.

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I killed the rank 1 monster, then discarded the rank 2 one- moving the thunderstone from rank 3 to rank 1. We were still very unsure about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
Of course I am not the official rules master for the game.

Opps, should have checked the glossary for the Hero:

"Elf Sorcerer/Archmage: When a Monster is returned
to the bottom of the monster deck, refill the Dungeon
Hall. If this results in a Breach effect, resolve it
immediately. If the Thunderstone moves to Rank 1 of
the Dungeon Hall, the game ends immediately; you
do not collect the Thunderstone.
"

One of these days, I will get these rules right.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
Of course I am not the official rules master for the game.

Opps, should have checked the glossary for the Hero:

"Elf Sorcerer/Archmage: When a Monster is returned
to the bottom of the monster deck, refill the Dungeon
Hall. If this results in a Breach effect, resolve it
immediately. If the Thunderstone moves to Rank 1 of
the Dungeon Hall, the game ends immediately; you
do not collect the Thunderstone.
"

One of these days, I will get these rules right.

LA

Hehe...I KNEW I had this situation clarified in the rules somewhere! Seems like most things are covered now, people just miss them (I can't blame them, everyone misses things from time to time). The ONLY time you collect the Thunderstone is as a direct result of FIGHTING and DEFEATING the Monster in Rank 1, causing the Thunderstone (which would have to be in Rank 2) to move to Rank 1. Any other effects which move the Thunderstone to Rank 1 do not allow you to collect it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol- thx! Was that ruling in the updated rulebook? Guess that means our game was a draw then- 45 VP's a piece! Pretty close!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elf Sorcerer says defeat one monster THEN return another monster to the bottom of the deck. That means, as others here have said, that you would not get the Thunderstone.

however...

Elf Archmage says you may return a monster to the bottom of the deck BEFORE a battle. If you had the Archmage in that same situation then you would get the Thunderstone.

I did this just tonight. I used the Archmage to return the 2nd monster, thus moving the Thunderstone to position 2. Then I killed the first monster, getting me the Thunderstone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did this last night, but the person who did it just did it to keep the Thunderstone out of the hands of the players who came after, who were fairly certain to claim it if he left it as it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.