Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at this game for some time now, and are about to place a VPG order (just waiting for Forlorn: Hope to be released).

What I wanted to know: on the VPG website, playing time is said to be approx. 25 minutes. Could you people who have played ZotR tell me whether this is a correct estimation or rather a serious underestimation (as advertised playing times tend to be)?

How long does a ZotR session normally take you to finish?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the quick answer!

10 min's to 1 hour is indeed broad, but still in the scope of the target I set myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this amazing game last week and have played about 15 games so far - a couple of them only lasted a couple of minutes, but most tended to be around the 20 to 30 minutes mark. I think 1 game went on for about 45 minutes.

I would highly recommend getting this game - you will not be disappointed - the game is a real nail-biter as you push back wave after wave of zulu attacks, and try to manage the limited resources available to you (e.g. do you spend valuable resource on building barricades, do you sacrifice one of your best soldiers, or do you fire a small volley in the hope of an accurate hit?).

I like the game so much I've even changed my avatar to be one of the counters from the game cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I find Zulus to be a very quick play (and quick to set up as well). I think my longest game was about 40 minutes.

This is in contrast to Empires of America which also has a 25 minute playing time but is in reality a much longer game. One game I played of EiA was over two hours (including time for head-scratching and chin-rubbing). Which isn't to say I'm unhappy with it -- I love both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thomas, when Empires in America goes into overtime (i.e. more than an hour), does that impact your enjoyment of the game?

Recently, I was playing The Lost Cause and I found the game was much longer than I was used to. It seemed to detract from my enjoyment. Admittedly, I was still very much getting the hang of the rules. That said, I'm a fanatical Soviet Dawn player. Part of the reason I enjoy that game so much is the very rapid game play. I can set it up and play and be done in no time.

How does the State of Siege game engine work as game time extends? Is it an issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all set to buy Forlorn and am currently choosing another game to place with the order. Either Zulus or Nemo's War. Both sound incredibly fun for Solitaire play.

Reading the play times for Zulus on this thread has me nearly convinced to buy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Post some of your plays with results as I'd like to see how you are doing in defending the ramparts!!

I wondered about something like this before: if there could be (or is, for all I know!) some central repository where we can all do just that! I think it would be interesting to see other peoples results besides your own ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmcke013 wrote:
Quote:
Post some of your plays with results as I'd like to see how you are doing in defending the ramparts!!

I wondered about something like this before: if there could be (or is, for all I know!) some central repository where we can all do just that! I think it would be interesting to see other peoples results besides your own ...

We can! Under "Statistics" there's the listing "Total Plays." Click on the number to see all the plays for that game, then click on anyone's number to see their plays and any notes they took.

Here are all the plays for Zulus: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/playstats/thing/41627

Or my plays for Empires in America as an example: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/53624?userid=15389
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.